Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking at two differnet Rav4s and wanted some opinions of experts in the car.

One is a 2007 FWD Sport. It's been very well maintained from what I can tell, two minor accidents that were cosmetic and have been fixed (very well documented). It's sitting at 180,000 miles. Asking price is $5,000. Doesn't need anything from what I can tell, brakes, rotors, tires all replaced within the last 6 months.

The other is a 2010 AWD Sport. Also well maintained, no accidents, but needs new breaks, rotors, and tires essentially right away. It is at 136000 miles. Asking price is $7,900. I'm thinking I may be able to get them down to $6,500 range with me then putting $1000-$1300 into it right away to get those items fixed.

I'm looking for a roughly 5-7 year car, and will drive about 12,500 miles a year on average.

Which car would you recommend? Assuming both are properly maintained to date, should I roughly assume both will be fine for that 7 year time frame? Is it worth paying the $2,500-$3,000 extra to get those 45,000 less miles and 3 years newer vehicle?

Thanks for opinions and insights!

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Engine types are I4 or V6? All things being as described and with the same engine (avoid the '07 if a 4 cyl. and has not had the Toyota oil burning issue resolved via the engine having been rebuilt) I probably would opt for the '10 RAV4 if you are looking for a vehicle for 7 years of service.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
There are fewer problems with 2009 and up. There are other changes like the rear lights and you get a hard cover instead of a soft one. The 2006 to 2008 had the 2.4 litre engine with high oil consumption. I would got with the 2010. Newer is better since there are a bunch of other improvements made.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engine types are I4 or V6? All things being as described and with the same engine (avoid the '07 if a 4 cyl. and has not had the Toyota oil burning issue resolved via the engine having been rebuilt) I probably would opt for the '10 RAV4 if you are looking for a vehicle for 7 years of service.
Both 4 cylinders. I don't think the oil burning issue has been taken care of, he says it burns oil and he just keeps topping off every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Both 4 cylinders. I don't think the oil burning issue has been taken care of, he says it burns oil and he just keeps topping off every 1000 miles.
Avoid 2006 to 2008 with those oil burning engines. We had members having engine failures due to low oil level. Repairs for the engine near $5000 to replace. It is not worth risking unless you are a gambler. Also going very high speed with this engine can deplete the oil level quickly. One lady engine seize when she went over 100 mph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well - this thread has been way way more valuable than I anticipated to be honest everyone. Thank you for your time, thoughts, and expertise.

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
Get the 2010 or walk.....if you buy the other one you'll soon be walking anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah you should avoid 2006 to 2008, those have oil burning engines. Here is a professional grade diagnostic code reader with wireless capability and full-system wiring diagram, written here at OTC Evolve Reviews 2020 [3896 Bosch Diagnostic Scan Tool]. If you would read this review thoroughly, you can discover great features of this scanner. Like it features a powerful and fast Android operating system and many more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts