Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, the inevitable has finally come to pass, i creamed a deer just a few miles from my house, after a 500 mile road trip lol. figured id post the damage and pictures as shes rebuilt, as ill be doing all of it myself.

she mostly took it in the fender and corner of the hood, but the deer swung over and hit my drivers door pretty hard as well.

so impressed with how well she took it. didnt even feel the impact, was more noise and "oh crap!" than anything. the wife and kid and i are all fine, little shaken up for a few hours after but otherwise completely unharmed. deer came out of a ditch at full sprint, quick thinking is the only reason this damage is so minor, its just panel damage and no structural or mechanical damage whatsoever. parts have been located, as rav4.1's are pretty hard to come by around here it was a bit of a mission, but i should be putting her back together by the weekend if things work out.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Good to hear that no person was injured. Good luck in repairing your RAV - it appears that you have the job well in hand. Hopefully your freezer now is loaded up with venison . . .:smile

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
set out to haul home all my parts tomorrow first thing in the morning, haha and no venison here, not that i mind it but the wife isnt a fan.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright, productive day! hauled home a hood, drivers fender, and a drivers side door, all of which are pristine and i couldnt be happier with their condition! ill be starting work on it tomorrow evening or saturday morning, along with making a set of custom jdm style headlights out of the stock headlights and a set of acura integra headlights.

as for the x on the headlights, its an old vintage racers stigma, its roots started with the cafe racers in the 50s who would put a tape x over their headlight, so that if a rock knocked out their headlight glass it wouldnt spray glass all over the road and puncture a tire, it was later adopted by road and rally racers and stuck around until the introduction of plastic headlight lenses. ive always had a deep love of racing of all kinds, and as a biker and racer myself, ive always loved the look of the black x on the headlights, so ive kept it on most of my vehicles with glass headlight lenses.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
some progress today after work. new hood and both new fenders rust coated and prepped, hood vents cut, yellow fender is painted and clearcoated. red fender has a few issues so ill have some work to do on it yet, as well as the red on the hood. back at it again tomorrow, try to get my new headlights mounted up, start stripping off panels and work on getting the grey plastic parts bedliner'd.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i decided to do something a little... different. lol. the clearcoat reacted with some of the paint for some reason, still not sure if im going to try to fix it or just let it be ugly haha. either way, shes back in one peice and aside from still having a broken headlight, shes back to 100%. lol and its not the most obnoxiously bright rav4 in the province, maybe anywhere hahaha

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts
I'm glad your family and you came out unscathed and the RAV only needed a few parts to get her back on the road. Great job she looks fantastic, love the color.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Awesome work... :D

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Another bit about the tape on headlights - we used to tape thin stripes across headlights so they would self-defrost. Won't likely work with LEDs. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah us and our little rav definitely got lucky haha. there will be more color to come eventually, and liveries as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts