Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RAV4H XLE Premium 22 weather package vehicle spec sheet says I have external defrost on the mirrors. I couldn't figure out how to turn them on, dealership says to turn on rear defrost and that turns on the 2 door mirrors. I did that, felt to see if the mirrors were warm when I stopped at destination, they weren't. when I took it in for the 5K check up , they told me I did not have that feature. Does any one know how I can check myself to see if I really have that function? Thanks

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
2,245 Posts
RAV4H XLE Premium 22 weather package vehicle spec sheet says I have external defrost on the mirrors. I couldn't figure out how to turn them on, dealership says to turn on rear defrost and that turns on the 2 door mirrors. I did that, felt to see if the mirrors were warm when I stopped at destination, they weren't. when I took it in for the 5K check up , they told me I did not have that feature. Does any one know how I can check myself to see if I really have that function? Thanks
The dealer is right. They turn on when you turn on the rear window defog switch. Just keep in mind that they are timed, meaning they automatically turn off after a few minutes. Also, they may not get as warm as you think; they only need to be above freezing to melt any frost.

Another way to check for them is to pop off the top cover for the outside mirrors and look for the connector on the back of the mirror, toward the inside. Don't confuse that with the Blind Spot warning light connector which is more to the outside. There are several video tutorials on how to remove that cover, such as the tutorials for installing sequential turn signal lights on the outside mirrors.

· Registered
97 Posts
Helpful to know! I was looking for a switch to turn on side view mirror defrosting, thinking that the switch would signify that I had the feature. There was a dedicated switch on my '17 Tacoma TRD Sport. Did not realize that the mirror defrosting was activated by the rear window defrosting switch. Will check it out the next opportunity. Probably another one of those "RTM" (Read the manual) things.

· Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
1,132 Posts
I hate that defrost and wiper defrost reset at every start, making remote start damn useless in clearing during the winter.
I haven't had the opportunity to try this, so I can't confirm if it works. But on the Toyota app (if XSE and if subscribed) remote climate lets you turn on the rear window defrost. In theory, since those are connected, the side mirrors should defrost as well.

Next time I have a frosted-over mirror I'll give this a try.

· Registered
5 Posts
I haven't had the opportunity to try this, so I can't confirm if it works. But on the Toyota app (if XSE and if subscribed) remote climate lets you turn on the rear window defrost. In theory, since those are connected, the side mirrors should defrost as well.

Next time I have a frosted-over mirror I'll give this a try.
You're in the non-prime section, us plebs don't have remote climate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts