Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Thanks for posting this. It looks great.

Do you like it?
Is the material substantial/thick or does it seem kinda wimpy?
Easy install (need to remove anything first)?
After having it, any regrets about not going with the Toyota Canada protector?

Thanks for putting up with my questions -- I'm thinking about ordering one myself once my RAV arrives (say "RAV arrives" five times fast).

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DeLand is selling them on Ebay.

It's fairly well made, thicker than the small protector that came on it, made of material similar to the mudguards.

Install was as simple as removing the 4 push pins, cleaning the bumper, then removing the tape backing, then carefully align the 4 holes for the push pins and setting it in place. It took more time to remove the tape backing than anything else!! The push pins just require a flat blade screwdriver to pop the pin up, then remove the whole fastener. The protector has several strips of pressure sensitive foam tape to stick it to the bumper.

I think the roll over at the bumper edge is good, less paint to get scratched, I like it!!

Tim

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just go to ebay.com and put rav4 bumper protector in the search box, they come and go, when I first looked there weren't any, earlier today there were 3, now only 2.

P

·
0 Posts
You can go to DeLand Toyota. Under the "Parts" section of the website is a link for "Our Ebay Store".

I think going in this way makes sure you get the current items. Although, there may be a more straight-forward path.

R

·
0 Posts
Thank you both! I put Deland into the search at eBay, and I got some crazy stuff!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Got my bumper guard from Deland today. For those who are interested below are the specs. I'm happy with it. It's made of sturdy plastic.

Thickness of plastic 3/32"
48 3/4" at longest point
8 3/4 at widest point
1 9/16' lip

I'm very happy about the lip measurement. From pictures it didn't look this large.

I've put pictures in my album.

Personally I don't know the material difference between this one and the canadian model, however I think the lip is the best point. The plastic seems like it will hold up just fine.

I'll post pics after installation.

P

·
0 Posts
Thanks for pics and comments -- I think I've made up my mind to go with this one. Now if I just had the RAV to attach it to (dealer postponed until next week -- again!)

C

·
0 Posts
do you have to take the old (smaller) bumber guard off to install the new one?

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CornMOnkey said:
do you have to take the old (smaller) bumber guard off to install the new one?
All you have to do is remove the 4 fasteners, the small original step pad is stuck on, I didn't remove it, I put the big protector on right over it.

C

·
0 Posts
Janos said:
Yes....... the four anchors secure the new one along with double faced tape.l
Quickdtoo said:
All you have to do is remove the 4 fasteners, the small original step pad is stuck on, I didn't remove it, I put the big protector on right over it.
hmm, conflicting answers...who to listen to...hmm.

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CornMonkey,

The standard step plate that comes on the R4 is just a flat piece as shown in the pic, the DeLand protector fits right over it like it wasn't there after removing the 4 fasteners of which you can only see 3 in the pic. It installs just like the Canadian style that Johnny installed, right over the small protector.

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=28716&highlight=#28716

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd install it right over it, but as Johnny said, the decal may show a little at the ends, I don't know how much of the bumper the decal covers, it may extend a bit past the width of the protector, but it shouldn't interfere with application if it's stuck good as 3M film usually does. I wouldn't recommend trying to remove it going by this...

http://www.tintdude.com/ppf_removal.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts