Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the replacement antenna was a bust , but the bumper protector from DeLand Toyota was a great success :D instalation was a breeze and it looks great ! :thumbs_up: Thanks Janos

·
Registered
652 Posts
415 said:
Well the replacement antenna was a bust , but the bumper protector from DeLand Toyota was a great success :D instalation was a breeze and it looks great ! :thumbs_up: Thanks Janos
No problem 415, glad the protector worked out. What is your issue with the antenna? What length? I have the 9" and seem to be fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Janos said:
415 said:
No problem 415, glad the protector worked out. What is your issue with the antenna? What length? I have the 9" and seem to be fine.
I also bought the same 9" from brandsport , it worked great everywhere but in the town I live in ( I live near a local airport ) . I work in another county and reception was great there also . I still have it and put it up for sale at $10 . If you know anyone PM me . I figure if your gonna try it you will only lose half the amount if it doesn't do well in your area . John

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know how to post pics . when replying I see no button to manage attachments . :(

W

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I want that bumper guard-goes right over the small OEM one and any mechanical moron can slap it on, right? As for the antennas, it depends where you live and how you use it-I'm fifty miles outside a metro area and those metro stations the OEM pulled in with a degree of static and distortion were pure static with the 9" stubbie. Since it was never going to be used and would have been a total loss, I sent it back and will spring for new shipping charges on the 21" in exchange. A gamble to come up with something vs nothing. The black powder will still LOOK better than the flimsy OEM waving around. Will know the rest when it lands soon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly Woody........... I didn't send it back because I figured I could save a fellow Raver some cash . Let me know how the 21" works for ya . I think the airport here is a major problem though . My wife bought her 2006 Camry XLE a week before I picked up the Rav and her antenna is in the window , when we get away from our sub division radio comes in great but near our house her reception sucks also . On a different note I find her and my daughter stealing my Rav most of the time and leaving the Camry in the garage , when I ask why didn't you take your car they say the Rav is more fun like a fast go cart . I just wish they would put some gas in it once in awile :lol:

D

·
0 Posts
I got the Deland Bumper Protector. It did not come with any double sided tape but I thought I read somewhere that it needed some for installation. are there installation tops psoted somewhere? It seems using only the four factory pins will cause it to slide around and scratch the paint.

·
Registered
145 Posts
the double sided tape is attached to the underside of the cover. 3 or 4 long & maybe 4 short pieces of tape..... take a look!

D

·
0 Posts
Well I just looked at the Bumper Protector I got from Deland. There is no double sided tape on the underside. Is it usually shipped with it on the Protector? I guess I should call Deland? Anyone else get one without the tape? I was wondering what type of tape I should buy and the best points to attach it to. Anyone got pics of one they got with the tape attached?

D

·
0 Posts
Do you hvae the two sided tape on the overhang edge of the protector also?

D

·
0 Posts
I wonder why mine didnt have tape on it :-( Anyway I guess maybe 5 strips of tape in between the grooves on the top would be enough to hold it securely? Did yours have foam type double sided tape or regular two sided tape?

S

·
0 Posts
DmcGman said:
I wonder why mine didnt have tape on it :-( Anyway I guess maybe 5 strips of tape in between the grooves on the top would be enough to hold it securely? Did yours have foam type double sided tape or regular two sided tape?
Mine had ~1/2" thick foam in segments covering 60-70% of the perimeter of the op portion. It was about 1" from the edge. Hope that helps. But, if you bought it from Deland, I would first talk to them before I jury-rigged it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine had the foam tape underneath it. I wasn't going to use it at first, but then decided that it was there for a reason.

As a little OT note, has anyone noticed any scratching to the paint where the edge of the guard meets the bumper? After installation, I noticed a 1/2" scratch in the paint that runs parallel to the edge of the bumper protector almost directly under the edge. I'm wondering if the bumper is vibrating during driving and because the edge of the guard is sharp, that it's cutting into the paint job.

It's not a big noticeable scratch, but it's a scratch nonetheless and I'm concerned about rust issues down the line.

·
Registered
227 Posts
DmcGman said:
It is regular two sided tape. Janos' album has a nice picture of the underside of the bumpter protector. http://rav4world.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=1354

1 - 20 of 27 Posts