Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally received my XM mount from Canyon River Cellular today and mounted the Delphi SkyFi2 using the FM Direct adapter (SA10112) tapping into the same wires for the cigarette lighter for power. This setup frees up the cigarette lighter and the cup holder that I was using previously.

Previous setup:

New setup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you take off the silver trim piece that holds the Auto LSD button, there is a screw underneath that you use and the bracket uses the same hole to hold it to the dash. The bracket is basically two L brackets. One of the L brackets bolts to the dash. You then put the silver trim back and then take the remaining L bracket and screw that into the other.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just used a plastic spoon and pryed the trim up starting from the bottom. Worked well for me. I've been looking for a professional trim removal tool but haven't been able to find one. BTW, if it helps any, the plastic spoon I used was the "cheap" kind of plastic where it is flexible and not the hard plastic kind which tend to break easily.

·
Registered
8 Posts
kuj said:
Finally received my XM mount from Canyon River Cellular today
Sweet! Which mount did you get (Panavise, Pro.Fit, etc.)? Their website only shows the Panavise, but I may have missed something. I've been looking for a mount since I swapped-out my SkyFi2 from my F150 to my RAV4 (2006).

Thanks!

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's the Panavise. I installed the Panavise for my Roady XT and it's great. Easy install. I spent most of the time getting the second piece screwed on to the mount. I think it took about 15 minutes total.

S

·
0 Posts
since its in plain view, wouldn't that enourage criminals to break into your car and steal it?

·
Registered
654 Posts
sh0x said:
since its in plain view, wouldn't that enourage criminals to break into your car and steal it?
I usually take the roady with me 99% of the time. Sad thing if that happened would be that it'd cost more to repair whatever damage they did to the RAV than to replace the roady and base.

clone said:
Okay, I'll give that one a shot. Thanks!
Clone, the only thing I can recommend is to follow what kuj said about carefully taking the panel off starting from the bottom. I tried a plastic spoon but it wasn't strong or flexible enough so it cracked. I ended up using a puddy knife with the edge taped and gently popped the bottom loose. Rest came out easily after that. Let me know if you run into any problems.

As a side note, the cables are still outside and didn't do the wiring like kuj yet. I'm debating on how to wire in the antenna and will probably tackle that when I have more time. The hard wiring into the 6V outlet is beyond my experience right now so I'd have to research on exactly how to do that before I decide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
puttputt said:
I ended up using a puddy knife with the edge taped and gently popped the bottom loose.
Thanks for the tip. I also have a plastic putty knife that may do the trick.

puttputt said:
The hard wiring into the 6V outlet is beyond my experience right now so I'd have to research on exactly how to do that before I decide.
Once I get the panel off an see what's back there, I'll figure something out. On other installs, I used a female cig lighter "socket" and tied it back up in the dash, tapped "switched" 12v for it from the fuse block, plugged-in the 6v adapter and it worked fine. Problem that i can see with the RAV4 is that all the dash panels fit together without much (if any) slack, so it's going to be an adventure.

The other alternative is an adapter that has wires on both sides - 12v in, 6v out. Kinda pricey for what they are. If you're feeling lucky, you could bust open the adapter and solder some leads where the male 12v contacts hit the circuit board. It'd probably fit into a plastic 35mm film can (remember those?) for insulation. I'll let you know what I come up with once the mount gets here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
clone said:
kuj said:
Finally received my XM mount from Canyon River Cellular today
Sweet! Which mount did you get (Panavise, Pro.Fit, etc.)? Their website only shows the Panavise, but I may have missed something. I've been looking for a mount since I swapped-out my SkyFi2 from my F150 to my RAV4 (2006).

Thanks!
It's the Panavise.

sh0x said:
The SkyFi is easily removable so I remove it whenever we park.

puttputt said:
As a side note, the cables are still outside and didn't do the wiring like kuj yet. I'm debating on how to wire in the antenna and will probably tackle that when I have more time. The hard wiring into the 6V outlet is beyond my experience right now so I'd have to research on exactly how to do that before I decide.
I didn't have a wiring diagram so I couldn't tell which of the two wires was ground. The battery in my multimeter had died so I just guessed at the wires. I ended up blowing the fuse in the cigarette adapter for the SkyFi. Not that big of a deal. Took a fuse from another cigarette adapter. hehe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pics are in my album. Thanks to some tips from you guys, got the SkyFi2 installed, and it was a relatively painless install (minus the heat and humidity here). Used the Panavise mount and an FM direct adapter (from a previous install).

For power, I used a "female" 12v cig lighter socket (FM direct comes with one, I think Radio Shack has them as well, and this keeps the adapter intact in case you want to move the receiver to another vehicle), and tapped into the 12v cig lighter socket on the front panel (gray +12v, white w/black stripe is "ground"). I don't like to use wire taps, but the heat index was rising and it'll work for now. Everything tucks nicely out of sight. I was amazed at the amount of "nothing" there is behind the dash. One of the pics also shows the tool I used to pop off the dash panels - a flexible plastic screwdriver used to tune old TV's (I've had a set of those tuning tools since the mid-70's - kept them around for some reason). Popped those panels right off, and didn't leave a mark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
davidtr4 said:
What was your procedure for removing the panel with the power plug?
I slipped a plastic scredriver behind the top of the panel in the opening, pryed just slightly up (gently) enough to get room for my fingertips to get an edge, and pulled it forward - carefully.

The actual clips are on the sides (see the second pic in my album - the clips have a "pink" end color), so you might have to put the blade of the screwdiver in there to pop them free. Pulling towards the shift lever will give you enough room to get a blade in there and pop them free.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts