Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, tomorrow, I start my "dealership" tour. I am hitting 3 this weekend. I know since no one has any barcelona reds on their lots, that they are going to say they can order me one. I have a problem with putting a deposit on a car that isnt in the lot. I am afraid that they will tell me it will take 6 weeks, and then that turns into 8 and so on. Then I am without a car at all since my lease on my highlander is up in june. Should I request something in writting that says if the car is not in by a certain time, i get my money back??? anyone have any "super" tips before I start my journey? I have my financing taken care of already. 4 and 1/4 percent over 4 years!!!! yeah... I just want one NOW!!!!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
You may want to do most of your legwork on the Internet. After your done your test drives, there all the same.

I visited 1 dealer, got the test drive bit out of the way and did the rest by email using toyota's and KBB's build a car then submit to dealer.

When they come back you at least narrowed it down somewhat instead of going to the dealers that are going to say MSRP and that's it.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Janos said:
You may want to do most of your legwork on the Internet. After your done your test drives, there all the same.

I visited 1 dealer, got the test drive bit out of the way and did the rest by email using toyota's and KBB's build a car then submit to dealer.

When they come back you at least narrowed it down somewhat instead of going to the dealers that are going to say MSRP and that's it.
Absolutely. Especially if you're ordering.

Just go take a test drive to get a feel for the car. Then just walk away. Start a bidding war between dealers online.

Due to how quickly these are flying off the lot, you should even be able to get away with placing an order without a deposit. If you back out it's not like they'll have trouble selling it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
flyingn, not yet. I am starting with dealers closest to me first. Tomorrow I am going to one in clinton nj. I already test drove a while back. I tried the phone and internet. Not much luck. Seems like they want to see you in person. If these don't work out, then I will try those 2. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Placeing an order...

We had to place an order for a Barcalona Red base and we were told it would take 3 weeks. It took a week and 6 days. Keep in mind that the salesman doesn't make his commission until the car closes so he's VERY motivated to get it closed ASAP!

If I were to do it again I'd put a time frame on the order. A max of 3 weeks or my deposit back. We had another Toyota dealer and two Honda dealers continue to "work" us during this time frame. Even after we told them that we had put a deposit down. In hindsite I would have done alittle more wheel'n and deal'n before I would have put down a deposit. But we would have still had to order it because the other Toyota dealer didn't have a red either and I had already decided against the CRV anyways.

We still got a good deal and the Mrs is happy :D

Volfandt

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh, the old "I can order you one" line of BS. If you leave a deposit, I would insist on something in writing that says you can demand the deposit back immediately at any time (in case you find the car you want elsewhere). There should be no reason the dealer would not agree to this, since I'm sure under other circumstances they would tell you that the vehicle is in high demand (i.e., so what if they order you a red one, they'll sell it within 24 hrs to someone else)

·
Registered
122 Posts
hmm... i thought Toyota will return your deposit back no questions ask? at least thats what i heard and exparianced from 3 of the Toyota dealers here in the bay area.

i remeber few years ago, when Scion first introduced the new TC, i ran over to one of the dealer put a $500 deposit down, but later something happend, and the money wasn't available for me to buy the car anymore. so i called the dealer and they just return the check to me no questions ask.

·
Registered
270 Posts
deposit

I just did my deposit as refundable, they wanted non-refundable. If a deposit and buyer's order is what it takes to get my RAV I will do that and wait. Although, I have been waiting for a month and they told me another month. I am in no hurry though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts