Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
The cheapest way to get speaker ring adapters is leave the factory speakers in the door and only cut out the paper speaker cone and plastic supports from it's plastic housing. The result is a perfect plastic ring in which a new speaker will perfectly fit, and where the edge of the plastic ring is thick enough to hold new screws.

I took a pair of Focal ISS165 speakers and mounted them in this plastic ring. Replaced the separate tweeters with some cracking, twisting and hotglue, and the result was perfect.
For the rear door speakers I did the same, and installed a pair of Focal PC165 speakers with center tweeters. You can adjust the center tweeters so that they look up towards to the passenger back seat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you do that, you can easily break the cheap Toyota plastic by drilling out/cutting the rivets, or putting in the new screws.

Many new speakers will not have the same three
aligned holes as the Toyota factory plastic housing, thus rendering the factory housing useless.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi Spacey, your statement can be true, however I don't know if you're talking from experience.
I did the trick with reusing the factory speaker housing for all 4 speakers without any problem.
You can actually find a couple of instruction movies on Youtube, showing that it works perfect.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Spacey, your statement can be true, however I don't know if you're talking from experience.
I did the trick with reusing the factory speaker housing for all 4 speakers without any problem.
You can actually find a couple of instruction movies on Youtube, showing that it works perfect.
My statement is true, as I tried your method and it failed. Youtube is not Biblical.:D

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi Admins - it looks like (maybe due to the platform change) the pictures have fallen off of the first post, and the link in that post doesn't appear to work anymore. I am planning to swap my speakers this weekend, and it would be great to have the pictures to go with this. Could someone please look into this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Hi Admins - it looks like (maybe due to the platform change) the pictures have fallen off of the first post, and the link in that post doesn't appear to work anymore. I am planning to swap my speakers this weekend, and it would be great to have the pictures to go with this. Could someone please look into this?

Thanks!
The pictures are still there because I can see them.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks DL175. Based on other responses in the threads, I’ve already picked up speaker adaptors and the wiring adaptors too. Just wanted to see the visual representation of the job, and since this (and the stereo install thread) are sticky, I went to them first. I’ll check other threads tonight when I have more time.

No comment!

·
Registered
419 Posts
The pictures are still there because I can see them.

Must have been a glitch on one end or another. I was using Chrome but they didn’t show and there was no placeholder. Now in Tapatalk, I do see them. Curious...

No comment!

81 - 90 of 90 Posts
About this Discussion
89 Replies
39 Participants
Foryota
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing