Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Excellent work. I bet the most expensive part of this install would not have been parts, instead it would have been labour. Wanna come down to Alberta and do mine for me? lol.

Now where's all the TV screens and stuff? :wink:

·
Registered
54 Posts
2008rav4ltd, take a look at my album. The nav screen does play video, as well as the overhead drop down screen, for the rear seat passengers. They also get to use wireless headphones in the back, so they can watch a movie, and I can still listen to XM, and navigate.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Another tweeter mount option

Hello,

Like your install. I wanted to keep the factory tweeter bracket to minimise the customization work needed and keep the original look. So... Pull the door panel off as you show, get the tweeter bracket out where you can work on it (workbench) and:

Use a screwdriver to destroy the tweeter cone and get the magnet piece out. Then slowly and carefyully using a 2" hole drill bit, centered on the old spot, drilled out a new hole for the tweeter. Had to use a knife to clean up platic a bit. But new Infinity componet tweeter mounted right in.

Tweeter grill/protector actually touches the original door cover, but stays put just fine. Couldn't get a closer fit and it still looks original.

Just one more method you can consider.

Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Excellent job!!!! Thanks for the post with the pics.

I'm eyeing the AVIC-F90BT unit as a candidate to replace the stock (non-JBL) unit but I plan on keeping the factory speakers. I'm a bit unsure on removing panels ( breaking the plastic anchors/standoffs is what I'm skeered of) and putting them back to factory fit. I was wondering if its as easy as it looks....

·
Registered
397 Posts
RPM: Thank you for posting the detailed pics of your installation work. The pics went a long way in helping me with my recent install (amplifier/speakers/wiring) - especially the picture of you drilling through the molex connector to wire the rear speakers. I had to take a page out of your book there! Anyways I just wanted to say thank you. :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
brandoshido said:
Does the stock radio have RCA connections? My buddy is going to install an amp and sub in my car, and i dont know anything about radios.
The stock radio does not have RCA connections if you're still wondering.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
RAVPHO said:
brandoshido said:
Does the stock radio have RCA connections? My buddy is going to install an amp and sub in my car, and i dont know anything about radios.
The stock radio does not have RCA connections if you're still wondering.
That's right, you need a Line Out Converter (LOC) to run the amp. I attemped this route use earlier in my install. If you want to keep the factory look this is the way to go, however you'll still have the factory sound too with a little extra bass (IHMO).

It's been a while since I've been on these forums but since my last post I've added a pair of DVD players/screens to the rear head rests. I bought them @ Canadian Tire on sale for about $150 each. They're cheap but seem to work quite well and can be taken out the Rav quite easily if needed.

I'll post another pic sometime this week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. RPM. I am in the process of switching the oem radio with a dvd. Your pics sure helps. It is especially helpful that you mentioned the plastic tools from Princess Auto and the pics showing which one you was using.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RAVPHO said:
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: - great job, nice detailed pics outlining the install too!
:D :D :D

Thanks so much guys that awsome installation, i think it help me a lot to upgrade my factory install speaker.

Once again thanks.

O

·
0 Posts
RPM said:
/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=6084
Remote power switch for sub amp, used to turn off sub when cover is in place. I took a dremel to one of the dummy panels and installed a simple switch.

Stay tuned for more...

hey I just installed my own amplifier yesterday, and was wondering where you got the toggle switch for your amp and also how you installed it? thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The switch was just something I had laying around. All I did was hook up the remote turn-on lead from the factory radio harness through the switch and back to the amp.

·
Registered
277 Posts
RPM,

Great install. You are obviously anal, but I mean that in a good way.
Well thought out, and attention to detail.

Moved into an apartment about 15 years ago. Number 1 thing I miss is no work shop.

Again, great job.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Tools... :)

RPM said:
Thanks for all the positive comments.
VERY nice install. And I see that you used a Snap-on screwdriver!! I'm a former Snap-on Sales manager for the Boston branch. Great tools... again, great install. Good luck!!
the m0ng00se

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the factory JBL system and I will attest to it being a fine system. I think it is unfortunate that the 2009 Sport model no longer has this option.

L

·
0 Posts
Very nice and very informative. DO you happen to have the wiring schematic or diagram of the head unit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Re: Tools... :)

m0ng00se said:
RPM said:
Thanks for all the positive comments.
VERY nice install. And I see that you used a Snap-on screwdriver!! I'm a former Snap-on Sales manager for the Boston branch. Great tools... again, great install. Good luck!!
the m0ng00se
Yep, I've received that Snap-On for my 16th B-day (I'm now 31).

21 - 40 of 87 Posts