Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a diagram of the engine's coolant hoses and possibly some part numbers? Trying to track down an elusive leak and I think replacing the original hoses isn't a bad place to start.

Can't find one anywhere and Haynes isn't any use.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you're in the US, you can rent a coolant testing kit from just about any auto parts store for free (pay the deposit, then get the money back when you return it). You can pressurize the system using that kit, and then look for the leak while everything is cool. Just don't pressurize it in excess of whatever your radiator cap says (depending on your year, it will either be 0.9 Bar or 1.1 Bar, which is 13 psi and 16 psi, respectively.

There really aren't any hoses which you can't see, except for those behind the firewall for the heater core. There is a coolant plug on the back of the block which could possibly leak, but this seems unlikely. How much coolant are you leaking a day?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the Highlands of Scotland :) RAV only gets used in winter so I'm just getting her prepped. I was using about a pint of coolant every 500 miles. Put fluorescent dye in the system but didn't see a leak. Pressure testing kit on order from ebay.....

Hoping it's not the water pump. Replacing the timing belt looks a horrible job. I only do 1500-2000 miles a year in the RAV so there's no way I'm changing the belt. I had to retension it when I bought the car, that was bad enough. Belt is in good condition. Do you think it's possible to change the pump without removing the timing belt completely?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm sorry for the late reply -- no, I don't think that's possible because you'll have to de-tension the tensioner to get the belt off the water pump pulley, and so you'll have to remove that darn engine mount to get to the tensioner bolt to de-tension the belt.

You might be able to have a look at the pump by removing the upper and lower timing cover bolts and see if you can move the cover back enough to get a look, but I'm not sure if that will work (I've never tried, I just take everything out of my way -- as you know, it's so tight in there that it is hard to move anything enough to see anything else!).

Have a good look at the thermostat housing: you might have a leak at that gasket, and if so, that's an easy fix. If it's leaking, there will be crystallized coolant marks on the underside. I have seen that happen on other engines.

Have you checked your cylinders to be sure it's not a head gasket leak? It's unlikely, but you can always pull your plugs and have a look...and a smell (If they smell like coolant). (Thankfully, head gasket failures are NOT common on these engines unless there's a history of over-heating, so hopefully that's not it.)

But that o-ring between the pump and the block does sometimes leak if it's old and brittle...and that's one you must remove the pump to replace.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I was thinking about the pump o-ring too. I'm going to fit a new thermostat anyway as I'm doing the doing the main hoses too. Will have a check, thanks for the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts