Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to the forum and also new to my 05 RAV. Please bear with me for a moment for my ignorance.

On my previous cars I had installed oil catch cans on PCV(or CCV) to prevent intake cooking up from carbon. It is all because of the EGR. Will my engine have those problems? I found two CCVs going out from the head cover. One is going into the intake and the other is going in front of the throttle body. This is the first time I see two CCVs. Can someone please tell me more information? Should I install a catch can for the CCV that goes to the throttle body?

Thanks in advance.
:lol:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I am a new 05 owner also and just beginning to understand my new SUV. However, I am an experienced amateur shade tree mechanic.

I hadn't planned any such mod on mine. I may remove the PCV and other plumbing after a year or so to flush out the gunk.

EGR systems do carbon up an intake, but no "catch can" mod can address that problem. The only solution is to block the solenoid or other system that operates the valve, block the valve opening, or reprogram the PCM to change the operating threshold so that it never opens. I have done all three over the years but do not plan any such mods on the RAV. Remember an EGR is not all bad. A functional EGR not only is an emission control device, but it serves to significantly reduce combustion chamber temps via the introduction of an inert (exhaust) gas to avoid pinging.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Skip the catch can and clean out the intake every 30K miles like I do. I don't think it gets very dirty, but I clean it anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts