Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a drift is limited to a 4wd or rear wheel drive car undergoing a controled skid, the rav4 did it! To paint you a picture, imagine yourself attending a car show in which the sponsoring company hands you the keys. Today, I experienced driving GMS cars in the Bay Area at their "Auto Show In Motion" event in which visitors test drive their whole line of cars including the HUMMER H2 and brand new Pontiac roadster Solstice.

After driving several different cars, I hopped into my rav4 to leave the event. In the outdoor parking lot on the way out, I turned the steering wheel aggressively left and right to show my passenger the benefit and quality of a sports suspension (koni struts/shocks with H&R springs). I was curious if braking while doing it would really create a skid. To my excitement....

...it did! It was far from drifting like the rav4 video shown elsewhere on this forum, but indeed the tires did lose traction briefly and slide sideways only to regain traction thrusting the rav4 forward.

I admit, I've never done this before and was a bit surprised when it actually happened and ended with a slight fishtail. Note that the paved ground was covered with gravel which did promote the skid. I don't believe a normal dry pavement would induce and skid. I would NOT recommend doing this with a rav4 with stock suspension. Nor would I recommend doing it on normal roads.

You'll know when you've hit your mark. If the car feels like it's rolling, that's your limit. It's not how intense of a turn a rav4 can sustain, but rather the second turn that builds the confidence of a stiffer sports suspension.

Aftermarket sports struts/shocks and lowering springs do make a dramatic difference in handling. The ultimate test will be at the upcoming Norcal Rally Crossing event in Tracy next month.

Anyone else experience skidding, drifting, sliding of their rav4's on various types of surfaces? Share with the rest of the crew here how scary it was, or what condition it was in. I'm sure we're all curious to hear. Perhaps someone wants to share experiences of near accidents or just some crazy childish fun.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Hey Zoomie sounds like fun. I am guessing that you don’t get snow and ice in the winter where you are or you would be searching for empty parking lots a lot like me.
I went wild in the first snow storm in the open parking lots getting to know the AWD systems differences. I can’t have as much fun now because like last year I will have the Winters on in about a month before it really snows. This will be my first year that I will have my summers on at the begging of winter. In the last month I have been in heaven because the lower temperature has made the tires harder, less grippy and more responsive. I am really interested to see how they will feel below 0 degrees.

I have felt the limits of cornering and would think about getting a stiffer sports suspension but I am at my comfort limit with the 18” enkeis’ when I am out on the country roads or on the farm.

How was the handling and feel of the Solstice?
Too bad it doesn't have a supercharger or a V6.
From what I have seen on TV it looks like this will be a hot selling car like the Miata was..

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, no snow here in the Bay Area. The last time it did snow, it was pretty freaky. No one expected it and it only snowed for about 10 minutes, but it's the most most people had ever seen here in their lifetimes.

I actually didnt get to drive the solstice. the line was way too long, but i saw some pretty good driver take it for a spin on the track and it looked pretty good. i think keeping it at a v4 helps with the sales. it hits that type of market. the price range i think was below 20k. it was also illustrated in Cargo magazine 2 months ago as being in the affordable car range.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think they call that a powerslide more so than a drift, Zoomie. I hope you really don't plan on doing that outright at the rallycross. Might be too many ruts in the course by the time we get up there. Course, it might be nice to see, but don't blame me if you roll over. :p :p

·
Registered
471 Posts
zoomie said:
If a drift is limited to a 4wd or rear wheel drive car undergoing a controled skid, the RAV4 did it! To paint you a picture, imagine yourself attending a car show in which the sponsoring company hands you the keys. Today, I experienced driving GMS cars in the Bay Area at their "Auto Show In Motion" event in which visitors test drive their whole line of cars including the HUMMER H2 and brand new Pontiac roadster Solstice.

After driving several different cars, I hopped into my RAV4 to leave the event. In the outdoor parking lot on the way out, I turned the steering wheel aggressively left and right to show my passenger the benefit and quality of a sports suspension (koni struts/shocks with H&R springs). I was curious if braking while doing it would really create a skid. To my excitement....

...it did! It was far from drifting like the RAV4 video shown elsewhere on this forum, but indeed the tires did lose traction briefly and slide sideways only to regain traction thrusting the RAV4 forward.

I admit, I've never done this before and was a bit surprised when it actually happened and ended with a slight fishtail. Note that the paved ground was covered with gravel which did promote the skid. I don't believe a normal dry pavement would induce and skid. I would NOT recommend doing this with a RAV4 with stock suspension. Nor would I recommend doing it on normal roads.

You'll know when you've hit your mark. If the car feels like it's rolling, that's your limit. It's not how intense of a turn a RAV4 can sustain, but rather the second turn that builds the confidence of a stiffer sports suspension.

Aftermarket sports struts/shocks and lowering springs do make a dramatic difference in handling. The ultimate test will be at the upcoming Norcal Rally Crossing event in Tracy next month.

Anyone else experience skidding, drifting, sliding of their RAV4's on various types of surfaces? Share with the rest of the crew here how scary it was, or what condition it was in. I'm sure we're all curious to hear. Perhaps someone wants to share experiences of near accidents or just some crazy childish fun.
hey zoomie awesome story.
i just had one question did u used a hand brake on that turn or front brakes??
I've been actually doing some drifts yesterday. It was raining here where i live and while turning left I stepped on gas too hard and car started fishtailing, but then traction control turned on and fun was over :x :(. kinda strange cuz before i though that its almost impossible to do that with 4wd. :?:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slayer: I was smiling as I read your response, b/c YES YES YES I was thinking of doing that at the rallycross. But I guess I'll take your professional opinion and lay off the brake during the turns. I'll do as you do.

Alien18: No I did NOT use the handbrake. From what I hear, that can be bad news. I know driving ain't a video game, but using the -brake on Grand Turismo on Playstation definitely initiated a skid almost instantaneously. I wish I had traction control!

R

·
0 Posts
DRIFTING OFF ROAD

I have drifted my RAv once 'accidentally' on a downhill hairpin logging road, rear dif locked up,ABS kicked in, but VSC did not. Unfortunatily wife woke up so same effect. :shock: Was a blast, helped that the road serface was just thick dust and crumbly stone. I did find that the RAV has a way of reminding you to slow down on rough roads though. Makes a sound like the end of the world when the suspension hits the stops to quickly. :D VERY tough little truck! Only other time I have experiance a skid once hitting a long patch of oily freeway off ramp, brakes where useless, steering-HAH! Lucky for me I was not going too fast and the oil ended 50 feet before the intersection so I was still able to stop in time. Bit disconceting few seconds though.

E

·
0 Posts
Well, just the other day, after a rainstorm (after a long dry-spell) in Vancouver, I was making a left turn en route to work. I pretty much punched the gas on first gear. I couldn't believe it when I made all four wheels spin for a split second! The only time I ever spin my wheels by accident (never on purpose!) is when I drive in snow (a very rare occasion in Vancouver), during a heavy rainstorm, or on wet roads after a long dryspell.

·
Registered
471 Posts
EHinthe604 said:
Well, just the other day, after a rainstorm (after a long dry-spell) in Vancouver, I was making a left turn en route to work. I pretty much punched the gas on first gear. I couldn't believe it when I made all four wheels spin for a split second! The only time I ever spin my wheels by accident (never on purpose!) is when I drive in snow (a very rare occasion in Vancouver), during a heavy rainstorm, or on wet roads after a long dryspell.
I know ur feeling dude. I do that on purpose preaty much everytime it rain here :wink: :D I love drifting. The other day I almost did a 180 with a handbreak on wet road with bunch of leaves on it. It was krazy :mrgreen:

·
Registered
471 Posts
lol ok i admit it, i was trying to do a 180 but wat came out wat more like 120, then the car stoped, and i wasnt going even that fast maybe around 30mph but the leaves made road very slipery plus it was raining

R

·
0 Posts
YEAA !! i did a 180 many many times. go about 35 mphs.....turn and pull the hand brakes.. hehehe something I LOVE TO DO on raining days in a smooth parking lot.

especially you need to do a U turn in a tight street I did it.
OF COURSE do it when no cars are parked on the streets !!!!

:D

RAV4 has lots of potentials =D
maybe some modding would be better.
stiffer springs. shocks, better tires then most TOYO, Bridgestones Dueler tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts