Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
darn factory filter was TIGHT. I hate that.. 4.5 quarts Quaker state synethic 0w-20 with a delco filter. Other then getting the right filter wrench to get the stinkin filter off.. Its sooo easy to do an oil change on teh 4 cylinder Rav.

P

·
0 Posts
Flying,

Im surprised you went synth already. Did you use an OEM filter? If not, which brand? I plan on doing dino till at least 10k.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Where's the filter and how hard was getting to it?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the oil at just over 1000 milers. I always do this on the first oil change I NEVER wait till 5000 first change. During the machining process there is a good change that there are metal shaving left over and I want to get em out asap. In fact pouring the oil back into a container to get rid of I did notice quite a bit of sediment on the screen of the funnel.

Synethis oil is fine from day one. its absolutly NOT true that you must run dino till after break in.. There are plenty of engines from the factory with synethic oil in them from day one.

I went to an AC delco filter. I usually use Putolator Pure ones but my local auto parts store was out of em for the 2.4 engine.. I do not recall the part number but it was the same as the 2005 2.4 Rav engine..

D

·
0 Posts
I'm just a ditzy blonde, and certainly no expert, but I think I read somewhere that Toyota puts an additive with more moly...(whoever she is) in the break-in oil, and that you should run it for at least 3000 miles.

Is that right?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Your own oil & filter changes

flyingn said:
I changed the oil at just over 1000 milers. I always do this on the first oil change I NEVER wait till 5000 first change. During the machining process there is a good change that there are metal shaving left over and I want to get em out asap. In fact pouring the oil back into a container to get rid of I did notice quite a bit of sediment on the screen of the funnel.

Synethis oil is fine from day one. its absolutly NOT true that you must run dino till after break in.. There are plenty of engines from the factory with synethic oil in them from day one.

I went to an AC delco filter. I usually use Putolator Pure ones but my local auto parts store was out of em for the 2.4 engine.. I do not recall the part number but it was the same as the 2005 2.4 Rav engine..
If you're going to do your own oil & filter changes you should check out the filter specials at Conicelli Toyota. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=410782&siteid=840&catalogid=4052 You may not need 10 at time but maybe you can share with others in the area? The price is right!

D

·
0 Posts
This resurrected post is over 18 months old! I do think that Toyota is putting in a special oil for break in and we should not be in a big rush to change it. At least 3000 miles would be good. I did my initial at 5000K as the manual says.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i also notice this on my 10k service,it sayas in report that oil changed + additive, dunno what additive they are using

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Additive

jaos07 said:
i also notice this on my 10k service,it sayas in report that oil changed + additive, dunno what additive they are using
The manufacturer does not require nor do they recommend oil additives. If the proper grade and viscosity of oil (conventional or synthetic) the service department was taking your money! That's why some are called "stealerships"!

V

·
0 Posts
First service in the UK is 10,000 miles , will adhere to this as I did with my Ford Focus SVT which was 12,000miles. Why is the USA different?

·
Registered
346 Posts
valeite said:
No, 10,000 miles we do not use kilometers in the UK
10k mi per change with dino and you're asking for trouble. Keyword: Sludge

1 - 20 of 22 Posts