Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time here so thanks in advance,

2007 Rav4 V6 -88,000 miles. Died while driving, restarted for just a second then died and wouldn't start. Towed home. Turns over fine with both keys, security light goes off with both.
I can hear fuel pump going, but hardly any fuel when disconnected the fuel bar. Starting fluid in air intake starts the engine and runs a few seconds until gone so clearly I have spark. I would be more suspicious of the fuel pump but most say they are super reliable. Swapped fuel pump relay and no change. Seems more like something has stopped fuel.

Yesterday, pushed it back so I could put it on a trailer, turned the key and it started just fine. Took a test drive and pushed hard up hills, corners etc. and never a hesitation.

I don't know where to begin. We live a top a steep and windy road and don't really want it dying while my son is driving. Any thoughts or help appreciated.

Forgot to mention, no codes have been generated after it died or after it started working again.

Cheers,

Mmches

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
might be a long shot, but on my old car, the ground cable to the battery was oxydized, when I hit a bump, it would move and the ground connection would suffer, (car would stall, radio would start acting weird) then I would boost it, and it would start fine, because the clamp would move the ground to a better position.

maybe you have a bad ground and the fuel pump is not getting enough power?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Octane.

We had the battery cables on and off several times during testing and it never made a difference. Only thing I did was put in in neutral and roll it backwards 20 yards in a tight turn, and suddenly it started right up when I tried it.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
might be a long shot, but on my old car, the ground cable to the battery was oxydized, when I hit a bump, it would move and the ground connection would suffer
Correct me - I thought once the engine was running the battery could be disconnected. It would continue to run with error code, but run nonetheless. No?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Correct me - I thought once the engine was running the battery could be disconnected. It would continue to run with error code, but run nonetheless. No?
I know that was true in the "old days", it would run on the generator/alternator. With cars today, I'm not so sure.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I know that was true in the "old days", it would run on the generator/alternator. With cars today, I'm not so sure.
Let's us hope we do not have to find out. :)

I have stories. The most recent was when my '58 VW sedan quit charging (alternator in this one). Turns out the alternator was 'energized' (initiated) by the stupid light in the speedometer. The bulb failed. No generator output. How stupid is that? (Putting a wire to ground from the alternator fixed it all.)

Same engine in new vehicle. The little black wire in the upper middle was the cure.
http://www.digoliardi.net/brad/brad_tin.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
Almost a year later and no response to what it was...
Yep, the OP only made those two posts on June 6th last year. Then no updates. Happens often.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Solved it.

Sorry guys, was off the grid for a while. Here was the problem. Even though tank was 1/4 full and I added gas, it didn't work until I rolled it back just enough to slosh some in the center depression that had be crushed up. Then once it started and i drove, it worked fine for another 30 miles or so and suddenly the same problem.

Here's the deal, bought the RAV4 used with salvaged title. Apparently, forks on the fork lift at salvage yard from being moved, crush up the center of a RAV4 gas tank. My mechanic saw it immediately when lifted. Ordered a used replacement tank twice, and each time it came crushed the same way. Mechanic pounded it out as best he could and has worked fine since but I don't let it get to E.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Sorry guys, was off the grid for a while. Here was the problem. Even though tank was 1/4 full and I added gas, it didn't work until I rolled it back just enough to slosh some in the center depression that had be crushed up. Then once it started and i drove, it worked fine for another 30 miles or so and suddenly the same problem.

Here's the deal, bought the RAV4 used with salvaged title. Apparently, forks on the fork lift at salvage yard from being moved, crush up the center of a RAV4 gas tank. My mechanic saw it immediately when lifted. Ordered a used replacement tank twice, and each time it came crushed the same way. Mechanic pounded it out as best he could and has worked fine since but I don't let it get to E.
The prices of fuel tank even aftermarket can be expensive but you would be better off with a new one I saw which cost only $187.
I would not want a crushed gas tank even if it was free to save a few bucks. I would have returned it if there was damage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts