Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever thought about swapping a European Diesel Engine into the North American RAV4?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
does the diesel use the same motor mounts, tranny and wiring??

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea I am trying to gather information. I have searched many places and have come up with nothing. What I know about the diesel is it is quite impressive.
Take a look at this website.
http://www.difflock.com/buyersguide/newcars/rav4-diesel/index.shtml
It gets the fuel mileage of a diesel VW almost and is an AWD unit. I want one but of course it is impossible to import them so I figured why can't we just import the motor.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The 2004/05 Turbo diesle in Europe is actually a 2.0L, 116Hp (plus the turbo). I test drove both before opting for the gasoline model ( 2.0L 150Hp) and the diesle did have a bit more pick up than the gasoline engine, but not noticable enough to justify the price difference. Of course if you do a sh&t load of driving then you can benefit from the lower fuel cost over time but that is not the case for me so it wasn't worth it. The turbo diesle also alows for more gains when you start talking after market Hp upgrades (power boxes or chips and such), but leaving the vehicle bone stock, I would only go with the diesle if I was putting on tons of miles, or constantly pulling something, otherwise the price difference just isn't worth it. That being said, the 2006 Turbo Diesle model coming out here has jumped from 116 stock ponies to 177! Now that IS interesting!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts