Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello RAVers, first post,
I have my old RAV4 model 2004 for several years now and I've decided to keep it for as long as 10 more if possible.

I watched this car enthusiast's video by accident:
How to change ALL the fluids in a 1997 Toyota RAV4 (episode 4)
(can't post URL on my first post apparently)

The vlogger states that you should change transmission and differential fluids every 30K miles.
I've never changed these fluids for any car I've had.

I was wondering if I can check the volume capacities so I can estimate the cost of the fluids in question.
I found the: Toyota 2005 RAV4 Scheduled Maintenance Guide
(can't post URL on my first post apparently)

...and there it says at several places:
"30/60/120,000 Miles or x/x/144 Months
Driving while towing:
Replace transmission fluid or oil"

So the guy says I should change the fluids, and the guide says not to since the car was never used for towing.
But the guide only covers the first 12 years / 120K miles and it is well past that mark.

Do I need to change the fluids or I shouldn't worry too much?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I consider Toyota's scheduled maintenance guide to be the minimum recommended maintenance. What I mean is you're welcome to perform maintenance at greater frequency, but you shouldn't service your RAV less than Toyota's recommendation.

My personal maintenance schedule looks like;
3,000 miles - engine oil change, rotate & balance tires, correct alignment
12 months - bleed brakes, flush steering fluid, replace differential oil, replace air filters
24 months - flush transmission & replace filter

Everything else is on condition.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
This forum is North America - based and Toyota has never sold diesel models here. You might wish to check with a UK - based forum such as: Home | RAV4 Drivers Club There are other Euro - based forums as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts