Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car and found the clunking to be a missing motor mount bolt nut and the rear motor mount bolt was completely GONE.

I can't find anything on the internet. Please tell me what size and pitch that bolt is.

I replaced the thermostat today. In the heat it sticks in the middle just fine. Driven in it tonight and it stayed a quarter way. Running a little cold. Can't be the temp sensor I don't think. Any thoughts?

No I found a fuse was removed. Map lights did not work (Cig outlet doesn't work either but it seems unrelated anyway)

I found the missing fuse and got a beeping. Found out it was the diff lock beeping. Obviously I don't have the button pressed in and I have been driving around like that. It would be apparent to me that the diff is locked and I probably am causing major damage driving the vehicle with it locked.

Reversing and etc does not get it to disengage. Any advice with this? Thanks all!

·
Registered
609 Posts
The inspection pdf has a good test to check the operation of the diff lock system. When I got my 99 Rav4 one of the wires going to the differential lock control solenoid was bad, works great now and the few times I have needed to use the diff lock the results were impressive. I'm very glad my Rav4 has this feature.

What year is your Rav? We may be able to get you some information on your fuses.

Some have reported some problems using non-toyota thermostats, could be a place to look since it is running cooler than expected.

I don't know the size of the bolt.

Have fun fixing up your new ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The inspection pdf has a good test to check the operation of the diff lock system. When I got my 99 Rav4 one of the wires going to the differential lock control solenoid was bad, works great now and the few times I have needed to use the diff lock the results were impressive. I'm very glad my Rav4 has this feature.

What year is your Rav? We may be able to get you some information on your fuses.

Some have reported some problems using non-toyota thermostats, could be a place to look since it is running cooler than expected.

I don't know the size of the bolt.

Have fun fixing up your new ride.

Well good I'll look at the PDF and trace the system and see what I can find. I'll be very pissed if I have to remove the motor and trans.

It's a 1999.

Seems silly for such a simple concept that a non toyota tstat would even do that. I'll more worry about it as winter approaches. I'd rather not be destroying my trans on pavement if I apparently am.

Thanks.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I didn't want to pull the engine on mine either when it didn't work, but I got lucky, it was just a bad wire under the hood and a easy fix. Jack it up and run the test, it may not be active.

This file will help with the fuses and their locations.

Sometimes an aftermarket part will be slightly modified to fit more applications and can sometimes cause slight problems.
The engine in my Ford is also fussy about which thermostat you use. Some aftermarket parts are better than stock, so it can be a hard call.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't want to pull the engine on mine either when it didn't work, but I got lucky, it was just a bad wire under the hood and a easy fix. Jack it up and run the test, it may not be active.

This file will help with the fuses and their locations.

Sometimes an aftermarket part will be slightly modified to fit more applications and can sometimes cause slight problems.
The engine in my Ford is also fussy about which thermostat you use. Some aftermarket parts are better than stock, so it can be a hard call.
Okay cool I'll give it a decent one over then. Appreciate it.

I got a bolt from a toyota junkyard for my mount but it looks like the "fixed nut" is trashed so I'll have to get a new rear motor mount. Even with the motor solid now (ish) I still get a decent clunk when I hit a bump on my right side. Everything feels solid though. Oh well, off to rocky mountain national park.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Okay cool I'll give it a decent one over then. Appreciate it.

I got a bolt from a toyota junkyard for my mount but it looks like the "fixed nut" is trashed so I'll have to get a new rear motor mount. Even with the motor solid now (ish) I still get a decent clunk when I hit a bump on my right side. Everything feels solid though. Oh well, off to rocky mountain national park.
Enjoy the park, I'm going later this week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Enjoy the park, I'm going later this week.
Thanks it was great. Got some nice pictures. Caught some moose too and the wildfire.

So I did 7 hours in it today. The whole loop. And it ran great as it did. Need to grab a new t stat.

I noticed this before I left today

I just fixed it now and still the same deal. I pulled the vacuum lines off the solenoids and I felt no vacuum at all. Shouldn't I?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

This a plugged vacuum line coming from the same loom I found. Probably the one that provides vacuum thus why it's blocked. If just don't know where it's supposed to go. Did they think they disabled 4wd? Lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Okay I think I found the cause. It snapped from that. Anyone know where I can order whatever that is?

Now I need to source my loud chunks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dif lock issue FIXED! That valve was loose so I took it out and took the broken off piece out of the tubing and glued it back on. It disconnects properly and the beeping goes away!!

YEAH!

Anyway. Clunking! Though I have a half ass bolt in the rear motor mount for now until I replace the mount itself (trashed threads on fixed nut) I still get a prominent clunk when I hit a bump. If both tires hit something thats even I hear nothing. Only when one tire or the other hits a bump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts