Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the horn in my 2006 Rav4, to an American horn. What do I need for parts, if I need any other than the new horn I buy. And how is it wired ?
:nerd

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
There are 2 horns which has one wire is going to each horn ( positive - power). The factory horn body is grounded to the metal frame so there is no separate wire for a ground. The fuse is 10 amps.
I am going to install mine and chose the Hella Sharptone.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I removed the "meep meep" horns from my wife's 2010 RAV4 and replaced them with Freeway Blasters. These are made by Fiamm and are available on Amazon and ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72102-Term-Universal-Bracket/dp/B000FKKOK6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1465008330&sr=8-8&keywords=horn

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72112-Freeway-Blaster-Horn/dp/B000DINKPQ/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JZX5K0HJY845QD8D3QP

There is a high note (72102) and a ow note (72112)

I bought a set of Hella Supertones and sold them on craigslist. They had more of a gargly European sound than an authoritative sound. We install these Freeway Blasters at work. They don't need a relay and seem louder than the Hellas.

Access is limited on your RAV4 but they can be replaced without removing the bumper. Lots of patience and nimble fingers are needed.

The connectors are not a plug n play and will have to be altered slightly as with most aftermarket horns.

Or you could go to a salvage yard and pick up a set of Camry horns. Those will be ready to go and just as loud as the Freeway Blasters.

Reactions: sparky52

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
The OEM horns on my '11 RAV are loud enough where I live. In OR people's driver licences are good for eight years and all that one has to do to renew them is to plunk down the required fee, pass a simple vision test, and they are good to go for another eight years. One result - many drivers shouldn't be on the road and often don't drive safely. Still, horns are very seldom used here and if someone blows their horn other drivers and people generally regard that as an annoyance.

Yet with that, on my motorcycle I replaced the extremely wimpy, almost inaudible horn with a rather loud Wolo Bad Boy air horn - had to use a relay and upgraded wiring.- just in case a driver apparently doesn't see me and is visibly seen about to do or is doing something which would endanger me.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
To get the most out of an upgraded horn you should use a relay, and provide power directly from the battery using the current horn wiring to "trip" the relay. I upgraded mine and the relay didn't arrive at the same time so I tried my HELLA 003399801 Supertone 12V High Tone/Low Tone Twin Horn Kit wired only using existing wiring and a better ground and it wasn't as loud as I would have expected. When I wired in the relay, it was an amazing improvement. There is no noticeable delay either.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got rid of the 2 OEM horns, installed 2 Blazer Freeway Blasters and also put in 2 Fiamm Highway Blaster high/low tone horns, all on relays. One of these days I'm going to remove the front bumper and install a couple more.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
After 2 years, the OUTSIDE shell of the 2 Fiamm Highway Blaster high/low tone horns (aka EL Grande) were really rusted. Maybe that's why the provide the nice red plastic covers :)

Somehow, my horn was stuck in full on position when my wife was driving the RAV. By the time, a cab driver helped her disconnect the battery, the horns were toast. It was not the horns' fault though.

I replace them again with the same El Grande horns. For the price, there's not much of an alternative, I think.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
To get the most out of an upgraded horn you should use a relay, and provide power directly from the battery using the current horn wiring to "trip" the relay. I upgraded mine and the relay didn't arrive at the same time so I tried my HELLA 003399801 Supertone 12V High Tone/Low Tone Twin Horn Kit wired only using existing wiring and a better ground and it wasn't as loud as I would have expected. When I wired in the relay, it was an amazing improvement. There is no noticeable delay either.
Not all horns require a relay unless the horn uses more power than the factory 10 amp horn relay can provide. Your horn (Hella Supertone) does require a relay (to the battery) because it uses over 10 amps. My Hella Sharptone only uses 7 amps so I don't require a relay.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Installed a Stebel Compact Air horn in parallel with the factory horns. I tapped one of the hot wires to the factory horns to trigger a relay which then draws current directly from the battery via a new (fused) wire to power the Stebel. The effect is good, because the air horn takes just a split second for the compressor to spool up I can make a more polite little meep, meep sound with a quick dab at the horn button or I can blast the brain dead idiot out of his or her shorts with all three horns, holding the button just an instant longer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I removed the "meep meep" horns from my wife's 2010 RAV4 and replaced them with Freeway Blasters. These are made by Fiamm and are available on Amazon and ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72102-Term-Universal-Bracket/dp/B000FKKOK6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1465008330&sr=8-8&keywords=horn

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72112-Freeway-Blaster-Horn/dp/B000DINKPQ/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JZX5K0HJY845QD8D3QP

There is a high note (72102) and a ow note (72112)

I bought a set of Hella Supertones and sold them on craigslist. They had more of a gargly European sound than an authoritative sound. We install these Freeway Blasters at work. They don't need a relay and seem louder than the Hellas.

Access is limited on your RAV4 but they can be replaced without removing the bumper. Lots of patience and nimble fingers are needed.

The connectors are not a plug n play and will have to be altered slightly as with most aftermarket horns.

Or you could go to a salvage yard and pick up a set of Camry horns. Those will be ready to go and just as loud as the Freeway Blasters.
Fixit , thanks for the good info and web sites
GOUVEIA

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not all horns require a relay unless the horn uses more power than the factory 10 amp horn relay can provide. Your horn (Hella Supertone) does require a relay (to the battery) because it uses over 10 amps. My Hella Sharptone only uses 7 amps so I don't require a relay.
DL175, very good info of why a relay sometimes needs to be used.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you're feeling ambitious, you could install a Cadillac 4 Note horn set from ebay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts