Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first automatic transmission in 40 yrs. I test drove on hilly terrain but not on sustained grades. I'm noticing that the engine speed and overall speed change by as much as 1000 rpm on a sustained grade. So, rather than ride the brakes on hills I use a lower gear for compression braking. On a manual transmission. the speed/rpm would stay constant as long as the grade remained constant. My 2014 will just keep going back and forth with speed changes every 5-10 sec. or so. I think of course it's the transmission software doing this but why?

Also, I'm one of the cruise control gripers. Used it on the highway during the test drive but didn't go up a hill I guess.

This vehicle is doing everything I want it to except this so I am satisfied with it overall.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That's an auto trans these days. Learn to use it "manual mode" if you are in hilly areas. Yes, the variance of 1,000 rpm is common and that is what happens when a torque convertor is in the loop. Also, consider yourself a "rough service" user and change out your ATF according.

I myself think Toyota WS ATF is substandard and just like Toyota's bolt anti-corrosion plating and subframe painting quality, is all about money savings for Toyota, at the detriment of the customer. There are many better more viable offerings for ATF then WS. And no, warranty is not an issue if you use ATF that say Valvoline full synthetic that says is comparable/comparable with WS. You have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that is a law that states YOU have the right to change fluids to compatible other brand fluids. WS is a semi-synthetic and can't handle any heat. Add the badly designed "hockey puck" transmission cooler and as one poster here or on another Rav4 board that took temperature readings of trans oil it was so elevated, it "half lifed" the WS. You do have to come close to the same viscosity as WS to keep in line of the warranty. Don't get sucked into the dealer stating you have to have WS to keep your warranty. "They don't know what they don't know", and keep spewing the manufactures line that it 100% and totally false. Start throwing around the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act around and it is so revealing how their tune changes, or at least for the one that know about it. Others are just misinformed and keep with the company line.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts