Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a leak on one side of the rear differential where the drive axle goes in. I removed the 4 bolts and disconnected the drive axle. I understand I should be able to just pull out the piece that goes into the differential to replace the seal but no matter how much I pull or pound it will not come out. Anyone know if there is a clip or something inside the differential that holds the shaft in place that has to be removed first? I would take the back plate off to check but that means removing the mount and I just know I am going to break one of the bolts off doing that. 1998 Rav4 4wd.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes there is a "C" clip inside the differential. Now that you have all the bolts out, you need to remove the diff cover and drain off the fluid. Now turn the driveshaft until you can see a pin that goes through the differential carrier. there will be a small bolt that goes through the pin. Remove it and then remove the pin. Do your best not to spin the differential after this point as sometimes the little gears will rotate and fall out.
Now push on the axles toward the centre of the differential. There will be a "C" clip on each stub axle. Remove it and the axle should now pull out.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
It can be difficult to pull out the c-clip, use a hook tool form a hook and pick set to pull it out.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
This shows how I removed my c-clips, hardly hurt at all, LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
And here is how I replaced my seals, I forgot the pipe nipple size:

·
Registered
609 Posts
With an open differential, you have to open the back to remove the c-clips. With the lsd the side shafts are removed and installed using a slide-hammer, so the back does not have to be opened. If you have to remove the rear mount, consider installing a new mount while you have it out.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention putting those c-clips back is a lot more fun than taking them out, my fun meter was pegged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts