Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 RAV4 5 speed manual transmission with 89,000 miles is due for rear end, AWD system and clutch fluid change. I am debating to have dealership do it which uses BG products for flush and synthetic fluids used as new fluid.

I am debating whether flushing is a good idea or to go with drain and fill method. I like the idea of having synthetic fluids but worry the flush might stir up something that could lead to future problems.

Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

Mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a new to me 05(for daughter) Im going to get the dif and rear changed at the dealer. vehicle is high mileage so I want to be sure the right fluid is used. I really don't know if a flush really stirs up anything. But its good to get it changed.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I drained and refilled the rear diff and front diff about 2 years ago. The fluid that came out of the rear diff looked like coal oil.

I do not use synthetic unless it is specified.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Synthetic oil would be helpful in the winter as I live in the Midwest and vehicle is not garaged. Also with synthetic oil changes would not have to be as often.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead with transmission fluid flush and differentials changed today. Vehicle does seem to shift smoother.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts