Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have leaks at three points in my rear differential: drive shaft connection and the axle (seals) connections (not at the wheel). The car has 147,000km's. I changed the fluids (transfer case, transmission and rear end) at 132,000km. They also changed the breather knob. Now, It also happens that I have a ''weird whirring'' sound as I accelerate between 20-100 km/hr. My questions are: Is this all inter connected? Could only be a clogged breather? Should I attend to the whirring/whinning sound 1st as there is a secret warranty covering gen3 Rav 4's in Canada and this would take care of the drive shaft connection to the diff? The have the two rear seals replaced. Is this relatively DYI friendly?

Thanks

BL

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
You can only change the rear differential breather valve if you drop the rear differential. The breather valve needs to be pressed in and with so little room it can not be uninstalled or installed that easily in its current position. First you said they changed it and now you are asking if it is clogged? It will not be clogged if you changed it.
The rear seals is not an easy DYI. The rear seals can leak if you over fill it or the breather valve is plugged up with road crap.
The whine noise can be from the transmission if you have the V6. The whine noise can be from your rear differential also. If you take your foot off the pedal and the noise stops it is from the transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have seen three different garages for the noise. My independant garage tells me he won't touch it and to simply get a full rear diff in a scrapyard. A Toyota dealer claims (after listening with a stetoscope?) the noise comes from the front passenger side axle and (43457) the bearing support bracket as well as associated seals all the way to the transfer case. All this for 650 tax in. The 3rd, an independent transmission shop, tells me that he can't check the fluid level in the diff as the top filler bolt was welded in when by the last garage who changed the liquids (diff, tranny & t-case). This was another dealer. He recommends I put in a 2nd hand diff, get a new viscous coupler (1200$), get the front axle fixed and even a new or rebuilt transfer case. He's mentionning in excess of 4000$.
All this for a ''whooing'' sound and an obvious leah at the real seals. The viscous coupler area seems dry. Going to a 4th garage (the Toyota dealer who changed the diff oil 15,000 k's ago).
Stay tuned….

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
There is definitely a lot of different opinions as to what the fix should be. You can read the sticky on the viscous coupler seal and bearing that is just $50 in parts. The viscous coupler is located in front of the driveshaft.

I just noticed the 3.5 on your title but your profile is incomplete. Do you happen to have the V6? They do have the famous transmission whine. It can be heard noticeably around 25-60 km/hr but the noise is hard to hear after. You can tell if you let go of the pedal the noise stops right away. There is also the rear differential whine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally went to another independent garage. Called the APA for a ''reference''. Paid off. Knew their stuff, no dealer upsell type of bull. Bottom line, 4 seals were changed: axle seals (connecting to the diff not the wheel section), differential/drive shaft connection seal, and the trickier of the 4, the transfer case seal. This is where this is definitively NOT for DIY's ers as the ''c-clamp'' was stuck and it required quick a bit of tugging (and torch work) to unleash it. All in all about 1200$. Leaks are gone. Whine's still there...so...I guess it may be something to do with the transmission as it was pointed out earlier. Well so be it...

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Good to hear that you were able to get the leaking seal situation repaired at a comparatively good price. Perhaps the whine is the transmission whine which occurs in V6 RAV4s, but supposedly the problem was remedied by the 2011 model year. Who was so stupid as to weld the upper trans filler plug? Perhaps they stripped it and used welding as a quick and cheap fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hand the tranny, t-case and differential fluids, as well as the breather changed a 2 years ago by a large local Toyota dealership. When I brought by car originally to one of the garages to have this leak/noise looked into, they commented that whoever touched this last, were amateurs and botch job artists. I did confront the dealership that did the work, they denied the whole thing, but replaced the ''plug'' charging me 200$ and adding I needed a new drive shaft (which was not the case). Needless to say , they will not get repeat business from me.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I hand the tranny, t-case and differential fluids, as well as the breather changed a 2 years ago by a large local Toyota dealership. When I brought by car originally to one of the garages to have this leak/noise looked into, they commented that whoever touched this last, were amateurs and botch job artists. I did confront the dealership that did the work, they denied the whole thing, but replaced the ''plug'' charging me 200$ and adding I needed a new drive shaft (which was not the case). Needless to say , they will not get repeat business from me.
Goes to show you a Toyota dealership may not always have the best mechanics. You pay a premium labour rate (the highest anywhere usuallly) when you get work done at the dealership and expect nothing but the best service. The dealership asking to replace the driveshaft when it was not necessary is dishonest. The dealer part is normally over $950 CAD and they would charge over $500 for labour according to some members. By the way it only takes 1/2 hour to install a driveshaft which I have verified when mine was replaced.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Agree with DL175 about Toyota dealership service. Suggest that you complain to Toyota Canada about that dealership's incompetence. That might prevent someone else from having the same sort of experience. And they charged you CAD $200 to hopefully fix their botched job?

Had incompetence experience with Toyota dealerships in our region. Selling dealership service manager said that they could not disable the beep sound on my '11 RAV4 when locking the car even though that had been listed as being customisable since 2006. Took it to another Toyota dealership and they did disable it but the tech apparently ran my RAV4 into some white plastic cans, which left white plastic streaks and indentation on my front bumper. Dealership is a 2 1/2 hour drive, didn't notice until I returned home. I managed to remove the plastic and deal with the damage myself. That dealership has a rep. for employees using drugs. Complained to Toyota but heard nothing since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts