Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1261 - 1280 of 1309 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Our dealer in Denver (Mountain States) took care of it, already knowing of an issue. I was their third.
Wow! I’ve been off the forum for a few days and catching up on new posts. So the dealership paid to replace fuel tank? Sorry if I missed it but was this authorized by Toyota? Seems like a safety issue and would be part of a massive recall as I assume we all want done by Toyota or for corporate to admit there is a big problem and do it right for both safety and avoid any issues with warranties.

Also interesting on post by “The big chalupa “ regarding 14.5 tank but none of us come close to filling to capacity because or reserve etc. I need to go to my local Toyota dealer ASAP to discuss and call corporate. Thanks for info.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Or your service department was lazy and wanted to get you out their hair. Or the corporate member they contacted was lazy. :ROFLMAO:

At this point, take what those bums say with a grain of salt. Seems prominent to "consumer blame" people instead of Toyota for this issue. I expect them to deny at every chance.
I beg to differ. The service department (lead mechanic) that I spoke to is my son!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I am guessing that there are several dealerships across the country that are honestly trying to help the customer. That is why regardless of "who said to do xxx" we are seeing irregularity to solutions. I would have to imagine even a select few are really working with Corp to see what might fix the issue.

I do agree with the premise of the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I am one to also go find solutions to my own issues outside the main stream process. But here I think until there is a formal announcement (TSB/Recall) that we all can see; its a nasty situation of wait and see. I have not had a chance to fill up yet but I bet I have the issue. I already made note with my sales guy that I will be watching the issue. But the reality of it is he wont need to care as this is a service issue.

·
Registered
264 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just filled for the first time yesterday. Went full tilt till the pump disengaged, waited a sec, than ran the pump at about 50%. Filled all the way until full, 6 years back I had a Prius, it had the same trickery.
Was the Prius a 2nd Generation 2004-2009?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have not vetted this site, do not know if it ever flew on the Lolita Express, no idea if it arranged any plea deals with Wall Street Financiers, but it does appear to be well run and organized:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Still had to force feed the last gallon when I tried to fuel from 1/2 mark. Told my local dealer about the CO location dealer and their remedy for the situation with gas version fuel tank. He told me he would be contacting them regarding this.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,272

·
Registered
363 Posts
BHAHAHA, just have Toyota put the gas version tank in it, 20 minute job! Quite a few have had this done.

And it fit with no issues? How? According to Toyota they are a completely different shape and fit quite different in the car due to the battery pack.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Where/how did you find this site?
In a parking garage . . . . Deep Throat.

I kid.

I did a Duckduckgo search with some phrase like "2019 RAV4 Hybrid Technical Service Bulletins and Recalls" . . . . something along those lines, and it popped in the results page.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,275
I am guessing that there are several dealerships across the country that are honestly trying to help the customer. That is why regardless of "who said to do xxx" we are seeing irregularity to solutions. I would have to imagine even a select few are really working with Corp to see what might fix the issue.

I do agree with the premise of the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I am one to also go find solutions to my own issues outside the main stream process. But here I think until there is a formal announcement (TSB/Recall) that we all can see; its a nasty situation of wait and see. I have not had a chance to fill up yet but I bet I have the issue. I already made note with my sales guy that I will be watching the issue. But the reality of it is he wont need to care as this is a service issue.
I know that Toyota Corp had detailed info from my dealer’s service department related to the diagnostic visit. I wonder how much specific data they’re collecting from our cars on a moment by moment basis so Toyo can come up with an overall official response/fix strategy. It’s a bit hard for me to see or believe that Toyo dealer’s are very involved in “finding the cure” other than providing these specific diagnostics.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,276
BHAHAHA, just have Toyota put the gas version tank in it, 20 minute job! Quite a few have had this done.
Nope, never happened. Completely different tanks as the gas version makes no accommodations for the hybrid battery. The hybrid tank is relatively flat on top so the hybrid battery will sit on top and they both fit under the rear seat.

Gas version

Hybrid version

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nope, never happened. Completely different tanks as the gas version makes no accommodations for the hybrid battery. The hybrid tank is relatively flat on top so the hybrid battery will sit on top and they both fit under the rear seat.
Dude's got some 'splaining to do...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good suggestion. After the pump goes off I hand pump the rest of the gas with a very light touch. I do think the filler neck is too narrow.
I do the same. Was interesting at my first fill I was next to a Prius, and he also mentioned trouble filling to full (had to finish slowly). I’ve gotten it to full a couple times, but with the mileage I’m getting, leaving it a bit empty doesn’t bother me for mostly in town driving.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So I dropped off my vehicle for the 4th time after sending corporate videos of how bad the problem really is with the fuel tank. I drove the vehicle to 0 DTE. Refill Now indicator on. From Toyota Dealer and Corporate this is where the vehicle still has 2.2gal in reserve. This means 12.3 refuel.

I recorded the refuel process according to owners manual. Shut car off, pop fuel button, 10 secs...

1st attempt til click 8.9gal. Fuel gauge at 3/4.

2nd attempt til click 1.6 Force .3 more at an 1/8th under full.

I drive 40mi to another station.

3rd attempt til click 2.4 at above full with 515 dte.

This was repeated on 2 refuels. I'll see what toyota engineer says today. It's either fix or lemon at this point for me.

1261 - 1280 of 1309 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.