Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1301 - 1309 of 1309 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don’t understand. How does this gas fill-up problem qualify as a lemon law factor?
It's a defect and irreparable at the current moment...a hybrid with sub-par unpredictable range after you advertised initially that it could get up to 600 miles?

·
Registered
999 Posts
This time I went 30 miles on REFILL NOW!!!

First click was 11.5 gallons, looked at the Gauge and it was PAST FULL.
Second click of the pump was 12.0 gallons...

I did 540 / 12 = 45.0 MPG !!!

How awesome is that!!!

The Computer display was 44.3

So this is the interesting thing.....

I was 30 miles on REFILL NOW and I added 12 gallons.
So there was a least 2 gallons of gas left...

So I should be able to easily drive 100 miles on REFILL NOW...
It would be a nail biter, but I should be in the 600 mile club on the NEXT TANK!!!
WOW
Oh you are back so soon! I am starting to think it's a Toyota rep trolling us here

·
Registered
463 Posts
I also feel threatening lemon laws and class action suits at this stage is naive and counter productive.
I wouldn't go that route because I would rather keep the vehicle even with the problem but one person in Oregon (forum member doverrificness) did go that route and had his Rav4 hybrid bought back by Toyota at the price he paid. It's in this thread somewhere. Why put down others just because their opinion differs from yours?

That said, lemon laws differ from state to state. In my state, Colorado, there have to be 4 failures to fix a problem and the vehicle owner has to take the complaint to arbitration first, so it is really a last resort. Anybody who is considering this should check with state law and perhaps contact a lawyer (as the person in Oregon did).

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,305
Disagree. Unless your aim is to vent and commiserate as opposed to work toward something that might be of use. I’m not as rabid as you about this. So when I visit the thread every few days I’m looking for useful information. People reporting for the fourth or fifth time the same filling issues bloats the thread and obfuscates gems that might be of use.

I also feel threatening lemon laws and class action suits at this stage is naive and counter productive. Corporations, behemoth as they are, are glacial in their deliberation, like it or not. If something productive does not emerge in another two months, I might get antsy too. Meanwhile my car is totally functional and under warranty. Maybe this is an age thing.
Rabid, huh? 😂
Since your car is “totally functional”, it would seem you have little or nothing to add to this thread since someone in your position doesn’t care at all about it. Venting and commiserating is fine with me as it promotes sharing of information. Bloating is a basic function of many car forums. You’ll just have to read closer if you want to learn more.

At the beginning of this thread, Toyota wasn’t admitting there was a problem at all. Now, given the sharing of a bunch of specific info from paying customers, Toyo Corp and many dealer service departments are witnessing, testing, and acknowledging this problem. One or two folks have mentioned Lemon Law are evidently doing so because they feel it’s the way to go, so if you don’t like it, talk to them via personal messaging. If you’re a corporate lawyer advising a different course of action, tell them so. Otherwise, come on back when you get antsy and want to commiserate.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,306
The engineer I talked to today said I was the only person to complain in my state. The amount of incidents he's seen says there is a low chance for recall but they are "working" on it. At this point, they have forbid me from turning in my vehicle for any other testing....I guess to prevent me from attempting a lemon law pursuit.
Really? Who specifically is this “they” character who forbade you from seeking any other testing?
You might mention to that engineer that being the only one to complain in your state is totally irrelevant since you are the proud but unhappy owner of a new Toyota RAV4 with a complete and valid warranty and you expect them to honor it.🤓👍
You also might call Toyota Corporate (with your case # and VIN #) and report both of these conversations. I’d record that and all other calls.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine is near impossible to fill the whole way, came across this thread and I see I am not alone. I'll definitely mention it at my first service appointment so hopefully Toyota gets one more "squeaky wheel" complaint to prod them to perhaps come up with a solution.

My wife's last car, a 2016 Civic, had an issue with the fuel neck spitting a tiny amount of fuel at you when filling up. It was a well known issue, similar in scope to the fuel fill issue on the RAV. Honda, after a year or so, did indeed some up with a service campaign and redesigned filler neck which fixed the issue. Hopefully Toyota comes up with something in this case.

Engineering and manufacturing a new car is an incredibly complex task. No amount of pre-production testing can catch every issue. What matters is if a company corrects the issues after they are brought to light. Sometimes it takes time, but that's the risk you take when you buy a first year car after a major redesign.

As for lemon law, I think it is a bit extreme in this case. Life is too short to get that bent out of shape over a relatively small issue. If, three years from now, Toyota had ignored the issue, I can see being a bit miffed. But expecting an instantaneous fix is unrealistic IMO. Am I happy about how mine fills when getting gas? No. But I'll give T a chance and see if they can resolve it. Returning a car over such a thing would be a gross overreaction as far as I see it.

To anyone who is losing a significant amount of sleep over this, I suggest reading "All Corvettes are Red" and "Car: A Drama of the American Workplace". Both will convey just how hard it is to produce the perfect car that has zero launch issues.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,309
Mine is near impossible to fill the whole way, came across this thread and I see I am not alone. I'll definitely mention it at my first service appointment so hopefully Toyota gets one more "squeaky wheel" complaint to prod them to perhaps come up with a solution.

My wife's last car, a 2016 Civic, had an issue with the fuel neck spitting a tiny amount of fuel at you when filling up. It was a well known issue, similar in scope to the fuel fill issue on the RAV. Honda, after a year or so, did indeed some up with a service campaign and redesigned filler neck which fixed the issue. Hopefully Toyota comes up with something in this case.

Engineering and manufacturing a new car is an incredibly complex task. No amount of pre-production testing can catch every issue. What matters is if a company corrects the issues after they are brought to light. Sometimes it takes time, but that's the risk you take when you buy a first year car after a major redesign.

As for lemon law, I think it is a bit extreme in this case. Life is too short to get that bent out of shape over a relatively small issue. If, three years from now, Toyota had ignored the issue, I can see being a bit miffed. But expecting an instantaneous fix is unrealistic IMO. Am I happy about how mine fills when getting gas? No. But I'll give T a chance and see if they can resolve it. Returning a car over such a thing would be a gross overreaction as far as I see it.

To anyone who is losing a significant amount of sleep over this, I suggest reading "All Corvettes are Red" and "Car: A Drama of the American Workplace". Both will convey just how hard it is to produce the perfect car that has zero launch issues.
Frankly, I’m getting tired of people coming on this thread letting Toyota off the hook. And yes, that’s exactly what you are doing. Until Toyo IDs the specific problem, announces the problem & solution (via TSB, recall, etc) and fixes a number of these Ravs, everyone with this problem should be calling Toyota Corporate (800–331-4331) to tell them your VIN, create a case, get a case number, and then call their dealer’s service department to tell them the problem and give them the case # from Toyota Corp.
The 2020s are coming. Think this will be fixed for future 2020 owners if people like you let them get away with lying about the gas range? Mine’s supposed to be over 600 miles and I have rarely seen my DTE show 490+. It’s unacceptable IMHO.

1301 - 1309 of 1309 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.