Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your answer leads me to my first rant. Surely with everyone and their dog using smart phones etc., you'd think there'd be some kind of adjustable holder in which you could see your phone developed by now that would be standard in cars. I know in the hybrid there is that tray but my phablet doesn't fit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've owned three BMW's and none of them had proper cup holders. In Germany it is against the law to drink beverages in a car so BMW followed the lead of German law. But of course in North America, most use cup holders for all manner of things. So the first accessory many a BMW owner bought after paying $40,000 - 140,000 was a cup holder.

Also in Germany there is no AM radio, and one series of car (7 year series), the AM radio couldn't pick up diddly squat as the antenna system was so poor. Yet you could go out an buy a small transitory radio for $10 that pick up AM better than the expensive BMW.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I also use the NoChoice magnetic phone mount and the Android Torque app with a Bluetooth OBDII adapter. In Torque I have setup a meter screen with realtime fuel cost (per trip), RPMs (the Hybrid does not have a tachometer), two speedometers with meter and digital presentation. One speedo reports what OBDII is seeing and the other speedo is from the phone's GPS. See the attached photo. Below the photo are links to a couple blog posts I did (with video) showing the NoChoice magnetic mount and the Torque app.

Click here for a blog post I did on the NoChoice magnetic phone mount.

Click here for a blog post I did on using the Torque app.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't get why they didn't do digital read out, so many cars have it now and not high end ones, our VW Passat has it. I like the smart phone read out, I'll check into it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Surprising the new RAVs don't have this somewhere in the menu. Even my older UltraGauge (plugin to OBDII) has digital MPH.

(disclaimer: yes, the analog dial shows slightly higher than digital readout, very common. And... I shot this over the shoulder of the driver, so don't flame me for driving and photo-ing, lol.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe a digital speedometer is something that can be added via an update?? I hope so.

I doubt at this point, but it would be nice if they did. Our Prius before had a digital, but it was also hard for me to see, my 2017 Volt has a bright speed digital display. I didn't think it would be a big issue, but it is for me with the Rav. With Sunglasses, my old eyes just can't see the speed without constantly raising my sunglasses. But, as was stated earlier, I can easily see the set speed (with the sunglasses) once I set cruise. So I use that more than the speedometer. So an update for digital speed in the center display would be a very welcome update.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I traded my 2014 Prius for the 2017 RAV4 Hybrid and was unpleasantly surprised to see that the digital speedometer display was gone. The mini window above the steering wheel is ideal for it.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I traded my 2014 Prius for the 2017 RAV4 Hybrid and was unpleasantly surprised to see that the digital speedometer display was gone. The mini window above the steering wheel is ideal for it.
I agree with you. It took me a little time to adjust from the digital display, in the Pruis, to the speedometer in the RAV4H. I think the Prius display is safer than the RAV4H speedometer, because not only is the digital reading larger, but also requires moving your gaze a shorter distance from the road.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The lack of a digital speedometer is likely due to the RAV4H being a conversion of a gas powered vehicle design rather than being designed from the beginning as a hybrid like the Prius. Not that a non-hybrid can't have a digital speedometer but rather that Toyota has chosen not to put one in the RAV4. Since the hybrid and gas RAV4s share many common components, including the dash, no digital speedometer. That's also why the almost useless "hybrid" gauge was put in place of the tachometer. The crappy instrument panel (save for the MFD) is one of the weak spots in the car IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts