Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . if you wear bifocals! I mean you can get a general wider angle view for a tad more passing safety but the inability to focus is disconcerting. I wonder if they've ever put the reading portion of bifocals at the top? Fortunately the car has enough other safety features this is not a big loss. I'm sticking with the standard mirror.

That said, no regrets. Beginning my third day with an HV Limited and still think it's awesome. Not even a tinge of buyer's remorse.

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts
Yup, I quit trying to use the digital rear view months ago and never looked back! :nerd Got no use for it unless I ever have cargo that blocks the rear window.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Guess that I'm in the minority, I REALLY like the digital mirror. I have no trouble focusing on it with progressive lenses and it gives you a much wider field of vision than the limited view through the small rear hatch window. On a multi-lane highway I can see a vehicle approaching from the rear in both the rearview mirror and the side mirror, offering a much better chance of seeing a vehicle in a potential blind spot. That, combined with the blind spot warning in the side mirrors makes it pretty difficult to miss a vehicle in your blind spot because there is essentially no blind spot.

The only flaw I see with the digital rearview mirror is its limitations at night.

·
Registered
247 Posts
so there is nothing wrong with the mirror... it's your eyes?
Yes, it's my eyes. (Like the OP, I have bifocals.) But it's worth mentioning because I'm surely not the only one who will find that out. I really thought the feature was going to be one of my favorites, but I can't really use it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
. . . I have no trouble focusing on it with progressive lenses and it gives you a much wider field of vision than the limited view through the small rear hatch window. . .
It would still seem you would have to tilt your head up to focus on the mirror with progressives, maybe its a function of prescription. My eyes see distance very well, the bifocal portion is only for reading. I'm happy the 8" display, having such big type, is not an issue; that's still not in the bifocal area.

It's true there's more double coverage with the digital, I get that. But I'm still feeling pretty safe, especially with all the other features built in.

It's a cool feature, no doubt. As Quickdtoo points out, I'll probably use it when the wife fills the back with some monster antique that blocks visibility.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the same bifocals problem. I can't focus on the camera fast enough. Still, when I show people the camera they always ooh and ahh! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
. . . if you wear bifocals! I mean you can get a general wider angle view for a tad more passing safety but the inability to focus is disconcerting. I wonder if they've ever put the reading portion of bifocals at the top? Fortunately the car has enough other safety features this is not a big loss. I'm sticking with the standard mirror.

That said, no regrets. Beginning my third day with an HV Limited and still think it's awesome. Not even a tinge of buyer's remorse.

the digital rear view mirror is useful only if your trunk is completely block by cargo or if you have tall passengers seated in the rear seat that block your view. For me, I personally like the function as i have twins and when the double stroller and the babies carry-on in the truck, along with my wife in the middle , my view to that back is usually block. So the digital rear view mirror comes handy.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Used it yesterday for the first time in operational use. Trunk fully loaded with furniture, so no rear window view. Now the digital projector makes sense!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
so there is nothing wrong with the mirror... it's your eyes?
It’s not a mirror, it’s a video screen. That’s the problem for some with glasses. In a mirror, you’re focusing on the reflection. In the screen you’re focusing on the screen.
My LE’s rear view mirror is very old school in that it has two reflectors where you just flip the mirror to look through a different angle, dimming the image. Works great.
Just another instance that shows that technology isn’t always the answer.

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts
The good feature of the digital rear view mirror is that it doubles as a conventional mirror with auto dimming as an alternative.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have good vision. It took me 4 months of using it for a few minutes here and there to get my eyes to focus naturally. The first few attempts were ridiculous how hard it was to quick focus. Now I cant live with out it. I like where that camera ends and my side mirrors begin for blind spot. It wouldnt make or break a new car purchase but a nice feature. Night driving has been all city/close suburbs so havent really tested that portion. Easy enough to switch back to regular mirror though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd happily swap you for it as I block out my rear window with a sunshade for sun protection but alas I'll have to resort to an aftermarket unit.

As with the focus having to adjust near (at the mirror) and then far (looking forward) becomes good eye exercise as I do this eye exercise at the traffic lights alternating between objects near and then far to make use of the time.

·
Registered
2020 XSE Hybrid
203 Posts
I have graduated lenses and can't the digital mirror.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts