Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless I'm really missing something the only speed indication is the analog gauge. There is no digital gauge? Seriously? No real time MPG digital either? I own a Hybrid Avalon, Prius and they have these simple must haves. I mean God knows how much I love this RAV. But seriously? No digital speed indication?

·
Super Moderator
11,141 Posts
Care to give us a clue as to what year model and engine you are talking about? No crystal ball here. We don't really care about your other cars since this is a RAV4 forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I do have a 2016 RAV4 limited hybrid. I have D used the cruise control and haven't ever seen digital speed. I have seen the set point for cruise control but not actual speed. I am using my Garmin with a OBD2 . It has a feature called gauges and Eco so I can get the information from my $200 Garmin. My question is the RAV with a Tech don't provider digital speed?

·
Super Moderator
11,141 Posts
Moved to correct area.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You can only see your digital speed when cruise is on and engaged - you see your speed at the top of the display between the gauges.

Sorry I do have a 2016 RAV4 limited hybrid. I have D used the cruise control and haven't ever seen digital speed. I have seen the set point for cruise control but not actual speed. I am using my Garmin with a OBD2 . It has a feature called gauges and Eco so I can get the information from my $200 Garmin. My question is the RAV with a Tech don't provider digital speed?

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can only see your digital speed when cruise is on and engaged - you see your speed at the top of the display between the gauges.
....and then you only see the speed your cruise is SET which is no help if you are accelerating to pass someone or slowing down. I agree with the OP that this was one dumb omission on Toyota's part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It could be easily added via software into the guage cluster. The guage cluster gets CANbus data, so writing a few lines of code to display speed in the center LCD screen wouldn't be hard at all and costs $0 after it's implemented. Literally would only take me 1-2 work days to program and test.

So yea, i agree with the OP, it's kind of a dumb omission. Our dodge 2500 service trucks at work have it in the center lcd screen.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Unless I'm really missing something the only speed indication is the analog gauge. There is no digital gauge? Seriously? No real time MPG digital either? I own a Hybrid Avalon, Prius and they have these simple must haves. I mean God knows how much I love this RAV. But seriously? No digital speed indication?
It was one of the first things I missed, from my Prius. The speedometer on the RAV4, is also much smaller than I would prefer, and requires you to move your eyes much further from the road, to view your speed. It does display a lot more information, than my Prius (2009), but I do hope they consider moving to digital in future models.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's a personal preference, a digital speedo is nicer to have. I'm just upset because it's such a simple software solution and would cost them nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Coming from an 11 year old Yaris Verso I really miss a digital Speed display. Does Toyoto provide any kind of official Request-for-enhancements/suggestions page?

·
Registered
342 Posts
What is the big woop about a digital guage? I like the digital life, but I don't get the big concern.
A digital gauge is much easier and quicker to read than an analog. Not to mention probably more reliable, cheaper to make and takes up less space on the panel.

The current "analog" gauge is essentially simulating 200 year old technology. An analog gauge needed to look that way it does because it was always a mechanical device. That doesn't make sense today, especially considering that there is no learning curve to adapt to the new technology (digital speed readout).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's how I solved the problem of no digital speedometer on my 2017 RAV4 Hybrid. I purchased the unit on eBay (from China) for $27.50 (includes shipping). It's a GPS unit so all it needed was power from the USB port. WORKS GREAT!

tadams61

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have 2018 Rav4 Hybrid XLE. I don't see the digital speedometer as well. I really hoped they did.

Its 2018. Thats a basic feature. Also the seat belt is poorly made. Feels like a really cheap car. Which is paid $42K Can

·
Registered
109 Posts
My sons Lexus NX 300h (RAV4H cousin) has HUD, might be Toyota want our cars to be less modern than their top brand.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts