Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 RAV4 has dim instrument panel lights. The dimmer switch can decrease the intensity of the lights so that they go completely dark, but the instrument panel is not light enough to see the gauges (fuel, temperature) or the speedometer or the tachometer at night.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any clues as to what might cause this to happen?

·
Registered
159 Posts
There are about five or six light bulbs that light up the instrument panel, I suspect that some of your bulbs have burned out.

Is it darker in spaces?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Not only do the bulbs burn out, but they often get a silver coating inside that cuts down on the light output. I recommend replacing them with LED bulbs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dim instrument panel

Not only do the bulbs burn out, but they often get a silver coating inside that cuts down on the light output. I recommend replacing them with LED bulbs.
Thanks! I will take a look at them. I've seen a tutorial on how to replace these bulbs.
Enrique

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dim instrument panel

There are about five or six light bulbs that light up the instrument panel, I suspect that some of your bulbs have burned out.

Is it darker in spaces?
Thanks for the reply. The instrument panel has no dark spaces, just dim lighting all the way across. I just got another response that says the bulbs may be covered with a silver coating on the inside and recommending replacement with LED bulbs.

Enrique

·
Registered
229 Posts
@JuneBug Even I have the LEDS, they are still dim, dimmer than the stock orange bulbs. But I had trouble with that also. My 10A fuses on "tail" keeps on bursting after I install 4 LEDs on of those 6 sockets in the guage clusters. Mine is a 97 rav though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts