Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased a 2018 RAV4. We had a 2007 RAV4 which we turned in and have had a number of other Toyotas dating back to 1993. That said I am extremely disappointed in the overall interior/exterior quality and comfort as well as the cheap paint work. Our 2007 paint has held up better over 10 years than our 2018 in less than a year. Cheep, cheep, cheep, crap!

·
Registered
99 Posts
We purchased a 2018 RAV4. We had a 2007 RAV4 which we turned in and have had a number of other Toyota's dating back to 1993. That said I am extremely disapointed in the overall interior/exterior quality and comfort as well as the cheap paint work. Our 2007 paint has held up better over 10 years than our 2018 in less than a year. Cheep, cheep, cheep, crap!
I would guess you took this vehicle for a test drive and also looked it over before it was purchased. Assuming this is correct, and I'm fairly confident it is, it begs the question, why did you buy it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I looked at the new ones and several used ones and ended up getting a 2016 for the exact reasons you spoke of. It just appeared to me that Toyota put too much money in the "gadgets" and not enough in the rest of the car. Actually, I was on the verge of taking a risk on a Honda CR-V but that gas in oil issue still lingers so I went back to Toyota. Seeing all of this, I had second thoughts about the Toyota CVT and decided to go with the car that still had a 6 speed transmission. It's no secret that Toyota's quality has steadily declined and there doesn't appear to be a change coming anytime soon. Hope you bought the extended warranties, you might actually need them! Check out the advice about their warranties offered on this site; it will be worth your time!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Perhaps I can “safely” assume that this occurred sometime after the 2016 models? My 2016 is flawless inside and out, comfort with the softex seats and the paint has held up extremely well. I do polish it twice a year with a top quality Meguires wax.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The paint quality of Toyota has sucked since 2005 at least, that's when I started researching Toyo's. Three of my 4 Toyota's have been Made In Japan and the quality I have no complaints about! However, my 2012 Highlander SE AWD was made in NA and it had bad welds on the drivers side front quarter panel which caused water seepage into the cabin and wet the carpeting too many times. Heard that was major complaint on the 2nd gen HiHi. That vehicle was sold back to a Toyota dealership at lease end and I made a profit on it to boot!

If I wanted quality and luxury I would've gotten a Lexus. I wanted quality and longevity so I selected plain Jane Toyota. My latest J VIN vehicle was requested - a 2015 RAV4 XLE which I bought.

I know, I opened a can o' worms with the Japan vs NA made vehicle remark! 😉

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yep, my 2016 was made in Japan. Considering the amount of time I spend driving on interstate 81 the paint has held up extremely well from debris and stone chips. I have however had three small chips on the hood which I have successfully touched up with the color matching touch up pen. I would think that since 2016 that this is to be expected. Personally, I do not care for the hood deflectors. But also I have the side moldings which definitely help in the parking lots.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2018 just turned one years old the other day it is a scratch\dent magnet the paint is all beat up already I can't wait what Toyota will see when the lease is up still have two years to go! the paint quality is poor compared scratches very easily compared to my 2014 CR-V otherwise the car is great.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
CHRISTEHPER before your lease is up you get the KBB value and compare it to your buyout price. If the then current value is higher then your buyout price you can sell the car back to the dealership dents and all - that money is yours to pocket or use as another down payment on something else. Never turn the keys over to the dealership and walk away if you're owed money at lease end!

Ask me how I know! 😉

·
Registered
8 Posts
All car makes have gotten cheaper over the years, including Toyota. More plastic parts, planned obsolescence, etc. It's not to their financial benefit to make bulletproof vehicles. Going forward, it makes me want to buy older cars, so I don't have to care so much.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
" More plastic parts, planned obsolescence, etc."

Those and all the bells and whistles that have been added. They contribute to lower reliability.

·
Registered
69 Posts
All car makes have gotten cheaper over the years, including Toyota. More plastic parts, planned obsolescence, etc. It's not to their financial benefit to make bulletproof vehicles. Going forward, it makes me want to buy older cars, so I don't have to care so much.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Thank your government regulations! Water based paint, light weight materials, etc. Effecting all manufactures.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Thank your government regulations! Water based paint, light weight materials, etc. Effecting all manufactures.

Lets not forget the public wants bigger and more power each year! They could make a car with much better gas mileage if the cars were the same size as say 4 years ago! They sell want the public demands!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
@2011rav4
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing