Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As a new Rav4L owner, I'm looking to upgrade the mirror to minimally include auto dimming and compass, and additionally I'd like homelink. A Gentex-50 mirror is what has both.

Would like to know if anyone with a moonroof option has looked into or upgraded to either/both of these options? Reason I ask, is that I assume I can get power directly from the moonroof control area, and not have to route any wires down the side column, which I hear is a no-no if you have side curtain airbags.

If anyone has installed this mirror in recent model Rav4, I'd like to hear if you did the installation in a car with side airbags.

Chees!

Garry

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I used a Magna-Donnelly auto dimming mirro with compass and outside temp sensor. I was able to hook into the "stock" power feed connector located in the headliner near the sunroof switch area. I forgot what color the wires (pos and ground) were, but could look them up if need.

I didn't have side air bags though, so running my temp sensor wire down the side of the pillar wasn't a problem I had to deal with.
Sorry...

jerij

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2004 with moonroof and side airbags.

Was able to hook up an auto-dimming mirror with compass by just connecting to the available power connector pre-wired for the mirror.

I see no problem with routing some wires through the A-pillar. I've mounted a twin antenna for my remote starter/2-way alarm on the glass right behind the rear view mirror and routed the wiring through the headliner and passenger A-pillar. No problems there and I get great reception from mounting the antenna in that perfect position.

The only problem I see would be rattles developing (so common on the rattle4), so I'd suggest you wrap your cables in foam tape. Of course, route your cables together with the factory wiring, i.e. forward of the side curtain assembly so they're not in the way.

I could've told you the colors for the connector since I completely removed the headliner on my RAV4 to install some dynamat yesterday, but I already reassembled before reading this post. Anyway, when you remove the overhead console, you won't miss it. It's the only available connector up there.

-Chris

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my RAV4 L there were two harnesses up there. One for the stock homelink console (on the left) and one to power the mirror (on the right of the headliner). I ran the temp sensor wires down the passenger side in an existing wire path in front of the air bags by the glass. Just make sure nothing is in the way of the bags and you'll be fine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the feedback and recommendations. I got a comp/temp mirror of ebay, and will install that using the parts of the stock harness, and will just have to run the temp wire down the A-pillar.

Cheers!

Garry

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
auto dimming mirror... with temp...

I have a 2003 Rav 4 L with factory auto dimming mirror, but it doesn't have Tempreture on it... is there anyway to activiate the tempreture thing?

Please help... thanks in advance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
planning to install the gentex mirr w/ compass, checked whats behind the roof console and found one spare connector, has constant power even when key not in "acc" will that supply do for the mirror or one which only gives power when key is turned on, thanks in advance

·
Registered
315 Posts
I wired my Gentex temp/compass into my ACC wire for the radio and I got a solara homelink overhead panel. Pics in my album.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts