Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. For the past few weeks when I use the Stop button to shut off the RAV, there's a short "ding" chime sound right after the engine shuts off. It's never done that in the first 3+ years of ownership (purchased new).

This happens without undoing any seat belts, or opening the door, or anything. There is no indicator on the dash as to what the chime may be for.

I noticed the other day when I used the lock button on the fob from about 30 feet away it didn't seem to "take." Normally I use the push button on the outside door handle, but wasn't sure I had used it then, so tried the fob.

However, things have been working fine and I tested the fob again later from a little more than that distance and it seemed fine.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the two are related. Is the "ding" after shutting off the engine an alert that the SmartKey battery is getting low?

Or is it something else?

The maintenance cycle was reset a couple weeks ago by the dealer after an oil change. I have not tried to have any codes read. It was doing that before the oil change and I figured if it was throwing codes the dealer would have said something.

Any knowledge or thoughts on this is appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey all. For the past few weeks when I use the Stop button to shut off the RAV, there's a short "ding" chime sound right after the engine shuts off. It's never done that in the first 3+ years of ownership (purchased new).

This happens without undoing any seat belts, or opening the door, or anything. There is no indicator on the dash as to what the chime may be for.

I noticed the other day when I used the lock button on the fob from about 30 feet away it didn't seem to "take." Normally I use the push button on the outside door handle, but wasn't sure I had used it then, so tried the fob.

However, things have been working fine and I tested the fob again later from a little more than that distance and it seemed fine.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the two are related. Is the "ding" after shutting off the engine an alert that the SmartKey battery is getting low?

Or is it something else?

The maintenance cycle was reset a couple weeks ago by the dealer after an oil change. I have not tried to have any codes read. It was doing that before the oil change and I figured if it was throwing codes the dealer would have said something.

Any knowledge or thoughts on this is appreciated.

The owners manual says when the interior alarm beeps once it's a low Smartkey battery. It also states the battery will last 1-2 years. My Smartkey battery lasts about 2 years so now I just replace it every 2 years. My first battery failed without any warning so now I keep a spare battery in the glovebox to have in case I'm away from home.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The owners manual says when the interior alarm beeps once it's a low Smartkey battery. It also states the battery will last 1-2 years. My Smartkey battery lasts about 2 years so now I just replace it every 2 years. My first battery failed without any warning so now I keep a spare battery in the glovebox to have in case I'm away from home.
Thank you very much for helping me correlate the two events. I was just guessing, but since you mentioned it I found a reference to it in the owner's manual as well. (An Internet search didn't turn up anything useful originally)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Followup: After replacing the battery in my SmartKey fob, the ding / chime that would occur after shutting off the engine has stopped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Followup: After replacing the battery in my SmartKey fob, the ding / chime that would occur after shutting off the engine has stopped.

Your second fob probably needs a new battery also. After I noticed the batteries seem to need replacing even in the fob that never got used much I looked in the manual and saw this " The standard battery life is 1 to 2 years. The battery becomes depleted even if the electronic key is not used " You got 3+ years which is good. Also everyone who drives the vehicle needs to know how to start it if the fob battery is completely dead. I had to do that once.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts