Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 1.6l 2WD and the dipstick got stuck. I used the same fix that I've read here - adding oil to the top and pulling and it came out. What I didn't notice at the time was that the lower part of the plastic insert broke off and stayed in the tube. It split exactly at the o-ring groove. Fortunately, there is a bend in the tube so it can't fall into the engine but I can't insert the dipstick anymore. Aside of the obvious - going to the dealer - any ideas on how to get it out? It's too far in to reach or even see without a flashlight. Since I haven't crawled under I can't tell if the tube can be unmounted or if it is press-fit / welded to the block.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Is it possible that the dipstick tube can be unscrewed from its mounting point? Or if is press fit it should be possible to pull it carefully directly upwards . . .?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible that the dipstick tube can be unscrewed from its mounting point? Or if is press fit it should be possible to pull it carefully directly upwards . . .?
That's mainly my question from the OP. I guess I'll just have to jack it up and look. I can't see where it hits the block from above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the benefit of others I've solved the problem. First , the dipstick tube appears to be press fit. I didn't remove it but it sticks into the block just above the oil pan.

To get the piece back out I flamed the dipstick to glowing red and melted it into the plastic. Once it cooled I could pull it out without problem.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Good that your ingenious solution worked!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts