Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I'm new to Toyotas and I was wondering what direct injection system the new RAV4 has. Does it have the direct injectors and also the port injectors to help keep the intake valves clean like the V-6 has? Or does it use just the direct injectors?

Thanks in advance and for sharing any information you have about this.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Only the Lexus has both direct & port injection . The RAV V-6 just uses port injection. The 2016 four bangers (gasoline only) use direct injection. I'm not sure of the hybrid or previous years. I do know the '16 RAV Hybrid uses an Atkinson cycle engine as opposed to the more common Otto cycle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for your reply.

I read in some Toyota articles that the new RAV4 has direct injection. When I took one for a test drive, I couldn't hear the ticking noise that direct injection cars usually make. Now, I'm not sure what type of injection the car has. There are advantages to both; I am not sure which I prefer. I was just curious which type of injection it had. Does anyone know if this engine has the port fuel injection also?

Thanks,
DanF

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
the 2.5 liter engine is multipoint electronic injection, it's not direct injection. just check Toyota.com for the engine specs... if it were direct injection it would say

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Here's an excerpt from an article on the 2016 gasser:

If you want a more traditional compact SUV experience, you can still get your RAV4 with a gasoline engine. You get the 2.5-liter direct injection engine with 176 horsepower and 172 pound-feet of torque delivered through a real six-speed automatic transmission. You have your choice of Front-Wheel-Drive or a traditional AWD system with a driveshaft.

This, from Car & Driver says the opposite:

ENGINE
Engine Type Regular Unleaded I-4
Displacement 2.5 L/152
Fuel System Sequential MPI
SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM 176 @ 6000
SAE Net Torque @ RPM 172 @ 4100

This is from Toyota USA Newsroom:

Where Practicality Meets Fun
The RAV4 gets down the road with authority from a 2.5-liter direct-injection four-cylinder engine that smoothly delivers 176 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 172 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,100 rpm. It’s teamed to a standard six-speed automatic transmission, and the combination yields EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 24 mpg city / 31 mpg highway/26 mpg combined. With Dynamic Torque Control All-Wheel Drive, the EPA estimates are 22/29/25 mpg.

No wonder it's confusing!!!:confused::confused:

Reactions: DanF

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I believe the 2AR-FE engine has multiPORT injection, but with a Direct *Ignition* System (DIS).

It's possible people are getting "direct ignition" confused with "direct injection."

This posting from bigbird1 has a link which goes into pretty thorough detail about the engine:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/126-4-4-mechanical/100473-2ar-fe-2-5l-engine-all-you-need-know.html#post1017233

BTW, there is a variant, the 2AR-FSE engine which has both port and direct injection, and I believe is the one used by Lexus in their 300-series hybrids. So there could be some confusion between similar engine model numbers as well.

It may be that "S" is the engine model code signifying direct injection (or both direct and port injection)?

Reactions: DanF

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the replies.

What confused me was that I test drove the car and it didn't make the characteristic sound that a car with direct injection makes.

I too have seen several articles mention that the Toyota RAV4 has direct injection. I also think they're confusing direct ignition with direct injection. As suggested above, I went to the Toyota website. When I could not find the information, I asked Toyota directly and they said that it has multi port injection not direct injection.

I plan on owning an LE all-wheel-drive by this weekend.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
According to this Toyota page, the Lexus IS 300H 2AR-FSE is a direct injected version of the 2AR engine.

Information About The Toyota AR Series Engine

Second Generation AR Series

The second-generation 2AR-FE released the same year as a 2.5-liter option for smaller vehicles like the RAV4 (ASA33/38), Camry (ASV40, starting 2009), and the Scion tC (AGT20). An Atkinson cycle variant, produced as the 2AR-FXE, was also introduced for the Camry Hybrid (AVV50). A direct-injected version, the 2AR-FSE, was also introduced for the Lexus IS 300h.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Only the Lexus has both direct & port injection . .
As a side note, the Scion FRS (and thus BRZ) has a Toyota engineered and supplied D4-S intake system that uses both port and direct injection depending on circumstance, sitting atop the Subaru block.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts