Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys!
my technician at toyota center told me that i need to flash and replace power steering fluid. it will cost me more than $60 for them to do that.

is there anybody knows how to do the draining and replacing of new power steering fluid.

also how can i know if my power steering fluid is not good anymore? (i get my rav03 last november and its certified free owned, im not sure during that month they replace my power steering fluid)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Just change it the easy way. Mst auto parts stores have a suction tool for about $10. It is a plunger that can vacuum out the fluid in the resevoir. It does get all the fluid but it is quick and easy.

Flushing involves a bit more work and mess. On other vehicles, one can remove one line on the p/s system and jack the vehicle up with the wheels off the ground and then turn the wheel lock to lock with the engine running. This will get the fluid out, but you should pour in fresh fluid as you do this. Some air will get into the lines but on most systems, normal driving eliminates the trapped air.

I have also use compressed air on trans fluid lines to flush them. I haven't tried that on the p/ fluid though.

Anyway a 2003 should not have much contamination so the first and easiest method would be recommended.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
rav4-22102 said:
Tried that. Refilled the resevoir and ran the engine and turned the wheels, but I don't see any fluid getting changed out.
You would probably have to do it over a period of time, and just drive normally
to eventually dilute the original fluid.

I personally like to do a full flush for all fluids.
Better chance of getting any debris out.

Cheers, Walt :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
you can use dextronIII type fluid instead of PSF - 1 bottle 1L.You need to change it when color is gray (must be red) and bad smell.after changing fluid u must full turn from left to right 2-3 times/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts