Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a way of disabling AWD? I have been looking at the fuses and came across one but it is connected to the shift control switch and some other things.
E3D617FC-513E-47E4-B5E3-E2007210F4CC.jpeg
If I pull 22 out will I still be able to get it into gear? I understand AWD is always on but this rav has on demand awd with an electronic diff.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Looking to save fuel? I don't think you will buy yourself much by disabling the rear differential clutch. This is basically a FWD vehicle with added AWD capability mostly when needed, and disengaged when not. The transfer case up front on the side of the tranny and the center drive shaft are still present and in motion.

Short of removing the diffy section and subbing in a different RHS halfshaft (basically making your "F" transmission into an "E" model), you have an AWD RAV4.

But.... I'd just pull the connector in the electromagnetic clutch out back rather than try to do this thru fuses. Either way, I'll bet the onboard diagnostics won't be too happy with you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking to save fuel? I don't think you will buy yourself much by disabling the rear differential clutch. This is basically a FWD vehicle with added AWD capability mostly when needed, and disengaged when not. The transfer case up front on the side of the tranny and the center drive shaft are still present and in motion.

Short of removing the diffy section and subbing in a different RHS halfshaft (basically making your "F" transmission into an "E" model), you have an AWD RAV4.

But.... I'd just pull the connector in the electromagnetic clutch out back rather than try to do this thru fuses. Either way, I'll bet the onboard diagnostics won't be too happy with you.
Haha not looking to save fuel she already gets pretty good fuel economy. I took the ECU-IG NO.1 fuse out last night and everything worked fine besides the light for when the VSC kicks in stayed on instead of flashing. The steering did feel a little off maybe due to steering sensor running through that fuse.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do you want to share your reason as to why you want to do this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you want to share your reason as to why you want to do this?
Well I'm sure you could make an assumption... The tread on the tyres are low and we already had em booked in to be replaced. So you tell me what you think haha.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sorry Kostya, but I'm not into guessing games. I'm here to help those with legit technical questions, and to learn a little bit along the way as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry Kostya, but I'm not into guessing games. I'm here to help those with legit technical questions, and to learn a little bit along the way as well.
My friends and I were having a discussion about whether the AWD system could be disengaged completely or if the fuse was just for torque vectoring or something similar we were also somewhat curious if it would do a skid. Looked online and couldn't find much for this generation of Rav, So I pulled the fuse out and did a little skid. I was also curious if it had a LSD. After doing this I was able to find out that it can't send any power to the rear wheels and it does have a LSD so there is the answer.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I believe that the front & rear differentials are open (no viscous, friction disk or Torsen limited slip). Torque transfer is thru the ABS/Stability computer selectively applying braking to the individual wheels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe that the front & rear differentials are open (no viscous, friction disk or Torsen limited slip). Torque transfer is thru the ABS/Stability computer selectively applying braking to the individual wheels.
No sure, both were spinning without any pulsing and I didn't feel the brakes pulsing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Brake limited slip is only on FWD models.
It would be nice if AWD can be disabled when not needed or using spare tire, to save on rear clutch wear.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Crewcab: So the AWD system does have a genuine LSD in the rear? Type?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Instead of unplugging the electromagnetic clutch you could insert a switch into the circuit to allow you to control AWD disconnect at the push of a button. :unsure:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brake limited slip is only on FWD models.
It would be nice if AWD can be disabled when not needed or using spare tire, to save on rear clutch wear.
I remember briefly reading over this in the user manual saying "Auto LSD (FWD models only." Does that mean the AWD models have a traditional LSD in the front and rear?

·
Registered
195 Posts
What I figured. The exploded diagrams of the differentials don't make any plates or viscous disks evident, so I figured they were open. Therefore any retarding action on the front right wheel to force torque transfer thru the front right differential to the rear differential would have to be thru braking action.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Here's a Toyota produced video (original) that should help explain things...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts