Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on lexusownerssclub.co.uk forum for the Lexus RX and Toyota Avensis and it appears to work for European 2004 RAV4 and no doubt 2005.

1) Turn the Power ON
2) Set trip meter to "ODO"
3) Power OFF
4) Turn the Power ON
5) Hold down the ODO/Trip button for 10 seconds
6) While keeping the ODO/Trip button down, put the driver seatbelt on.
7) You will see b_on / b_off choice in the ODO meter, make your choice with the ODO/Trip button

You will still get the dashboard and passengers seatbelt flashing lights if you don't put your seatbelt on.

Final note please use your seatbelt otherwise.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't get a beeping sound if I don't have the seatbelt on, I just get the flashing light(s) for driver and passenger.
Correction, it does beep 3 times. I really didn't notice it before because of my custom 95dB low oil pressure warning buzzer sounding at the same time when you first start the car.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then it must be European 2004-2005 RAV4's that this applies to only, Thanks for checking it out noodlerooney.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scott, my pleasure. I am going to disconnect the buzzer and flashing light. I think I can tell if I have the seatbelt on without the indicator, thank you very much. Found mention of the seatbelt buzzer in the electrical wiring diagram under Seat Belt Warning, page 168. It shows a buzzer in the combination meter shaded area. Looks like the same buzzer used for the key and light reminder, page 166. I assume the buzzer is located behind or soldered on the combination meter circuit board?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
***** Disable Seatbelt Warning Buzzer/Light *****
Looking at the factory wiring diagrams, to disable the seatbelt warning buzzer/light it seems one has to disconnect the grounding wires of the seatbelt buckle switch circuits at the connector IB1, located in the lower driver’s side kick panel (connector is approximately 3 up from the bottom, I'm going from the picture in the manual and I cannot really tell). This connector has 5 wires in line (12345). The driver’s wire is Red w/ Yellow stripe (#1 position) and the passenger’s wire is Red w/ a Blue stripe (#2 position). If these wires are cut, or better yet, somehow disconnected from the plug with a pick and then insulated, the system cannot complete the circuit via the buckle switch to turn on the seatbelt warning buzzer/light. This weekend I will attempt this modification and take pictures of the wires and location of connector IB1.

2-4-05, success, no more buzzer/light .....
The plug that came out had 5 white wires, apparently the colored wires were on the block side, so I had to go by wire postion only.
I managed to pry open the plug and extract the #1 and #2 position wires so I didn't have to cut them and they could be replaced into the plug at a later date if desired, then reassembled plug. ID'ed, shrinked tubed and taped together the pulled #1 and #2 wires. It was necessary to pull 3 other connectors so I could access IB1, reconnect all plugs.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it works!!!
Thanks a lot Scott Cummings,great tip....

I have the European rav4 2Lt 4doors...and it worked!!!

Some details...
The first times i tried,it didnt work...So i tried my own combinations and by luck it worked!!I am not sure how i did it,i remember that i pressed the ODO for more than 10 sec,that i pulled in and then out the seatbelt etc...The point is to try a lot of times and a lot of combinations...It will work!!!
Something else....After i managed to stop the sound,i wanted to get rid of the seatbelt light...So i opened the console to find the light.Ofcourse i had to disconnect two clips of wires...I found the light...The only way to fix it was to unscrew the front plastic(its like glass) and then pick up a little the white cover(the one that shows the temperature and the five lights-engine,airbag,seatbelt etc).There is a small hole ,at the bottom there is the light...You can do two things-1.put in the hole a little white or black silicone, 2.put a little of foam tape at the bottom of this white plastic,so the light wont come out....
Sorry for my bad English...I ll try to take some pictures of it....

After that,i realised that the trick with b_off / b_on was gone!!!So, i had to do it again...I hope nothing else went wrong with the memory of the car...At least until now everthing is fine,and no beep,and no light!!!!
Finally,for the passengers light,you just have to put a little piece of black foam tape in front of it,and nobody will ever notice.... :)
Thanks again... :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
took me a while to decide whether or not to disable alarm, but i went ahead and tried it and it works. i do believe that seatbelts do save lives, so if anyone decides to do this, always remember SAFETY FIRST.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish this trick worked for North American models :roll:

I don't mind the beep.. but it's sooo loud!!! it really does not need to be that loud!

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's too loud. ..
If you can find the offending relay/oscillator (beeper) Wrap it in duct tape, or something like that will attenuate it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think it's about time that someone says "why are you not wearing your seatbelt". Pardon me if this gets a little too preachy.

Don't get me wrong, I live in New Hampshire (where the state motto is "Live Free or Die" and we have no seatbelt law!) But still, I plowed my last car into a tree a few years back, and thanks to the seatbelts and the front/side airbags, I walked away from the wreck with barely a scratch on me. I don't care what people have to say about the dangers of seatbelts and airbags, because in my opinion, if I can plow into a tree at >40 mph and walk away with barely a scratch, then seatbelts and airbags have my vote.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think anyone is saying that they are not wearing their seatbelt.. I think we just don't like the excedingly loud reminder everytime we get into the car :roll: :roll:

It's automatic for me.. I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt, feels weird to drive without it.. and it's the law 8)

·
Registered
129 Posts
bzride said:
I don't think anyone is saying that they are not wearing their seatbelt.. I think we just don't like the exceedingly loud reminder everytime we get into the car :roll: :roll:

It's automatic for me.. I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt, feels weird to drive without it.. and it's the law 8)
ditto

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I posted this elsewhere, and I'll say it again, and again........and again.
I challenge any one of you to take an active dog for a cruise and your viewpoint on this beeping will be unanimous.
Of course the dog needs to be heavy enough to trigger the seat sensor.
The dog get's in, beeping commences "oh that's ok it will stop", finally stops, dog thinks, hey I wanna go in the back seat............ok that was fun, back to front.......BEEP BEEP BEEP, that was fun, lets try the back seat again. Over and over.

I have no problem whatsoever with the beeping, I realize Toyota needs to cover their bases, but a simple off switch would be appreciated.
LET ME DECIDE!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts