Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has thought about disabling the 4WD by means of removing the propeller shaft? or maybe some other way?

I am wondering if there would be fuel economy gains?
I find the 4WD unnecessary for summer/spring. And figure all the extra rear power train equipment is a drag on the engine. It's only really useful for winter/snow conditions.

Ofcourse in the winer I'd want to enable the 4WD back again :) :?:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Nutella said:
Wondering if anyone has thought about disabling the 4WD by means of removing the propeller shaft? or maybe some other way?

I am wondering if there would be fuel economy gains?
I find the 4WD unnecessary for summer/spring. And figure all the extra rear power train equipment is a drag on the engine. It's only really useful for winter/snow conditions.

Ofcourse in the winer I'd want to enable the 4WD back again :) :?:
I don't think you will find much difference in fuel economy doing that, most of the loss is in the extra weight of the drivetrain which would still be there. You can get disconnects installed for towing but you'd have to drive it about 10 years for fuel milage gains to pay for the instalation. Besides, you mentioned your milage before and it's really bad, I think you might have something wrong that the money would be better spent on. Maybe check the usual suspects like O2 sensor, injectors etc.

·
Registered
176 Posts
They do have disconnects for towing (very expensive) but not for driving.
I don't think it would work. You might want to read the FAQ section first - Subject: 3.1.3) How does the Four Wheel Drive (4WD) system work?
I think you would really mess up or ruin the ECU!!! It would be trying to compensate for slipage and go nuts!
It would be more cost effective to buy two cars - one for winter and one for summer.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:shock: Yeah, I agree with the other guys. The possiablity of messing up your RAV is too strong IMO. If you have the ability, I'd go with a 2wd RAV in the summer. Also, if your worried about making your RAV last, just ask Stelly, he's got some BIGTIME milage on his. Bottom line is, just keep up on maint., and your RAV will be there for ya'. :wink:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You cannot disconnect the RAV4's rear drive shaft due to 2 reasons.

1. The drive shaft is connected to the 4WD center diff. that has a seal. Once the shaft is removed, gearbox oil will leak from it.

2. The viscouse cupping will detect the rear lighten load as shaft is displaced, and will transfer more torque towards the rear. Resulting front power loss.

No go. Unless you change your gearbox to a FWD one.

Goodluck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts