Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post! Just got a 2011 V6 RAV4 with 38,000 km. Nearly mint condition. Loving it but after reading about how theives can use amplifiers to fool the car and fob into thinking they are close together I want to try disabling the smart key system for unlocking the doors and starting the car (proximity). I found a Toyota bulletin called "Disabling Entry and Start Function" but it's only for Europe and it's dated Jul 2006, so I'm wondering if it will work with my 2011?

Here is the procedure. Maybe someone can confirm it works in North America and current RAV's also.
I know I have to put the fob up to the ignition button to start but that's what I want to do.
Also if this procedure works, can I totally remove the smart key battery and have it still start the car by holding it up to the start button?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just tried this, works great. Even removed fob battery and car still starts, nice. So amps won't work, recording and playback won't work. How else can the car be stolen electronically?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,757 Posts
So without a battery you can just hold the fob up to the push button and start the car? If so, the only way someone could steal it would be to "borrow" your fob and clone the signal from the RFID chip. I assume you must have to remove the mechanical key and use that to unlock the driver's door?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes,no battery required. Yes, I'm using key from fob. Looking now for a key with a full size head but my local locksmiths only have a Lexus one with a chip.I don't need that. Any suggestions?
Is it possible to clone fobs without using a programmer and my actual car?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
It would probably be more cost effective to get a small EMP (Faraday principle) protection pouch. Even cheap anti-static bags work. (Google MIL-PRF-8170 if you like.) Just drop your fob into it when not using the vehicle. They are less than $10. Hang one inside your house's door, have one at work, keep one in your pocket.

The threat you speak of is very rare. Practically non-existent. Motivated thieves do not look for Toyotas.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True, but I sleep better at night knowing it's disabled.

PS, anyone heard if Toyota will bring back the V6?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
PS, anyone heard if Toyota will bring back the V6?
I can't even begin to imagine that ever happening, at least in a RAV4 with a 3.5L engine as before. In North America it seems they can't build them fast enough with the I4 engine, and with only that they've outsold every other manufacturer in this class in North America for the past 5 months straight.

I could see them maybe adding turbo to the I4 someday, as Ford and Subaru do, but that's about it as far as I would guess gas-only powertrains would go for the RAV4 in terms of gaining oomph.

I hate to say "never," but that's particularly difficult in this case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, every car I've ever had has been Toyota. I was nearly going to purchase a Mazda CX-5 a few weeks ago but just decided one day to check out the Toyota lot and they were just putting the one I bought on the lot, another salesman was standing by it on his phone telling a customer to come take a look, but I snatched it after a test drive. Did I make the right choice?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Yeah, every car I've ever had has been Toyota. I was nearly going to purchase a Mazda CX-5 a few weeks ago but just decided one day to check out the Toyota lot and they were just putting the one I bought on the lot, another salesman was standing by it on his phone telling a customer to come take a look, but I snatched it after a test drive. Did I make the right choice?
Mazda makes a pretty nice vehicle now, assuming they've fixed the rust issues.

·
Registered
268 Posts
A few suggestions for getting a door-only key:

You can get a blade only, this is used in conjunction with a transponder head to clone keys. You don't need the head, and that's the expensive part.

You can get a shell, minus the electronics.

You can get a non-transponder key blank, used until the min-1990's.

The company I work for sells cloning/programming equipment, and as far as I know these prox's have to be programmed. No cloning possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the non-transponder key blanks, these are Lexus keys correct? I can't find any Toyota keys with normal heads on them with the center slot cut out.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,757 Posts
For the non-transponder key blanks, these are Lexus keys correct? I can't find any Toyota keys with normal heads on them with the center slot cut out.
Yes, they are the same as Lexus keys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts