Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
noticed that the power steering fluid has been getting lower since the last time i checked! could this be just a seal in the steering rack? how difficult are they to replace?

K

·
0 Posts
No one can answer that question. This can only be answer by someone inspecting the vehicle from bottoms up.

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx kidong. it's taken about 3 months to go from "max" to "min" level so i guess i'll just invest in a bottle of power steering fluid every year or two until it gets really bad and drinks a bottle every 6 months!!

i don't see any drips on the driveway... yet!

·
Registered
176 Posts
When mine went it was the seal on the pump shaft. Seal didn't cost too much but getting the pump out was a real work of art. It didn't go out untill about 260,000 miles. You will notice drips in your drive way.

S

·
0 Posts
Try looking at the return line for the pump. I had a costly error in my part. I went to the Stealership and they changed out my rack.
1100.00 :(
I found out latter it was this return line hose which only cost $54.00.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A lot of people (including me) are having leaks at the seal where the steering wheel shaft enters the rack.

I wish Toyota would do some kind of extended warranty on what was obviously not a good seal design. I put in Lucas thick goop and zip-tied a rag to catch the leak.

Anyone contacted Toyota on this? Anyone been able to replace the seal separately?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm still at the "add-a-little-bit-every-now-and-then" kind of leak. it's the seal, according to toyota, and they indicated that it wasn't such a big job.

i'll get more details and an actual quote next time i'm around their neck of the woods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts