Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After washing my Rav at a drive through yesterday, I noticed some discolouration on the top of the roof on the left side.

I noticed this while drying the top. This is the 1st time I dried the top.

I wonder if it could be the paint protectant that was applied to the Rav in March.

The paint is absolutely very smooth, but you can see this discolouration on different angles.

I will try to post 2 picturs in my album. They were the only 2 pictures that show something.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I can't tell either by your pics, but I would take it back to your dealer's body shop and tell them you want it rubbed out, under warranty - hopefully it's only on the clearcoat surface and not in the color coat. Flourescent lighting is the best way to detect any paint imperfections - its tough to spot the more subtle flaws in direct sunlight.

OC

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I can see in the pictures what you're talking about. The paint should be uniform and not have those off-colour patches. Definitely visit the dealer and point it out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a similar discoloration as well. Only noticed it when waxing. The color of the defect looks the same on mine too. Mine is much less severe though, (just two small 1" streaks). Very small and I dont even notice them if I dont stand on the bumper and look for them. They are definately under the clear coat, so I didnt bother trying to remove them. I thought about having the dealer look at them, but decided not to bother because you cant even see them from the ground level.

Your case seems much more severe tough and I would definately take it do your dealer and have it repaired. From your pics, it looks like you have the Silver, which is what I have as well. Maybe this is a defect related to the paint color? Keep us posted as to what you find out, and good luck.

BTW, I dont have any paint protectant on mine.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I brought it to Ziebart to see if it could come out. They tried & couldn't remove it. I thought it may have to do with the diamond gloss that was applied.

I then brought it to the dealer. They said it was condensation between the paint & clearcoat & is something they have seen in the silver colour, however not usually on the roof.
They inidcated they would use an infrared device(heat gun). If it doesn't work they would repaint the roof.

It seems the roof had many areas on both sides. They did remove some areas, however after the 2nd attempt they gave me some masking tape to tape as they couldn't see all areas in their work area. By the 3rd attempt it looks like the discolouration is pretty well gone. I will have ziebart reapply some diamond gloss to those areas on the weekend.

The body shop manager said you can actually bake the vehicle to get rid of this & all imperfections, but didn't recommend it.
If I continue notice more areas I will consider this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Interesting. Post some pics of the repair if you can. My Rav is going to the dealer on thurs. to have all 5 doors unlock , one press FOB. Im going to show them my paint and see what they say.I probably wont bother doing anything, but I'll at least have them make a note of it, in case it causes problems down the road.

Good you got it fixed, that looked like a very severe case.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have them repair it.

I actually found a TSB on it after the fact. It was issued May 31, 2002. Paint stains under rapgard. PA002-02. It was under Tundra forums.

I would have them heat it & remove it. It will take them only 5 minutes if you only have 2 small areas.

·
Registered
118 Posts
backtolife said:
Have them repair it.

I actually found a TSB on it after the fact. It was issued May 31, 2002. Paint stains under rapgard. PA002-02. It was under Tundra forums.

I would have them heat it & remove it. It will take them only 5 minutes if you only have 2 small areas.
Great info. Thanks for the TSB. I decided I will have them repair it, since it sounds like a pretty easy fix. I stopped by a local body shop today and they knew what it was right away. The guy there was pretty cool and offered to hit it with the heatgun for no charge. I decided I better let Toyota do it though, just in case. He also mentioned that he has seen this same thing on alot of silver Volvos.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kelly:
how do you access the TSB's on this forum.

I didn't know it was available here.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dealer hit the spots with heat gun today, and like magic, they disappeared right in front of my eyes! Took about one minute to do both. Good call guys, Im glad I had it done. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts