Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Rav4 Adventure and experienced the first heavy snows. Temperature was around 30 bright sun.

Went to fill up the gas and the gas door was stuck.

Ok, needed to pry open the gas door because there was snow that melted down the side of the vehicle, freezing as it got to the gas door.

Unable to manually pry it open because when you pull on the hood latch, the latch springs back and re locks the door.

Fortunately, I had just been shopping and had a couple of dish cleaning scrubbies, the spongy type. Was able to cram the scrubbie under the gas door latch under the dash and then pry the gas door open, breaking the ice that had froze it closed.

I recommend that you get a spongy scrubbie and throw it in the glove compartment. Also a plastic bicycle tire iron to pry the door open instead of using a metal screwdriver and possibly damaging the paint.

Regards,
Crankster

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,982 Posts
Just purchased a Rav4 Adventure and experienced the first heavy snows. Temperature was around 30 bright sun.

Went to fill up the gas and the gas door was stuck.

Ok, needed to pry open the gas door because there was snow that melted down the side of the vehicle, freezing as it got to the gas door.

Unable to manually pry it open because when you pull on the hood latch, the latch springs back and re locks the door.

Fortunately, I had just been shopping and had a couple of dish cleaning scrubbies, the spongy type. Was able to cram the scrubbie under the gas door latch under the dash and then pry the gas door open, breaking the ice that had froze it closed.

I recommend that you get a spongy scrubbie and throw it in the glove compartment. Also a plastic bicycle tire iron to pry the door open instead of using a metal screwdriver and possibly damaging the paint.

Regards,
Crankster
There is also a number of reports of the spring that opens the gas door breaking. Thus, I now carry a spare spring in my glove box.

· Registered
897 Posts
These are good lessons to be prepared.
By word of mouth, RAV owners will soon learn to ensure the door opens before they leave home.

However, there is a time period that must be met -filling has to occur within 30 minutes of opening the fuel door. What is unclear to me is if you can close the door and reopen before 30 minutes. I believe so but would hate to get sprayed with fuel that won't be received by the tank. Oops.

With that, in frozen climates the driver should probably know better than to wait until fuel is at empty before stopping to fuel up during errands. It would be most unpleasant to be stranded at a gas station.

I need to look more into this spring thing and perhaps keep a spare also -just need to understand how it can be repaired in the fuel bay.

· Registered
947 Posts
Just returned from a business trip in Europe rented out a Toyota hybrid, which had a spring loaded gas cover door. I spent 10 minutes sitting at a gas station trying to find the release button to finally got out hit the cover & it opened.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts