Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are various other threads on the pricing that dealers are doing regarding the Prime.....but this one just blows my mind: a dealership ( which i will refrain from naming ) in Maryland has just received a Prime XSE with Premium package with an MSRP of 48,700 and change and that dealership is asking almost 62K !!!! Just horrendous......I live in Pa. and if I am going to be able to get one , it will have to come from Maryland as Pa has no allocation. That said....I will NEVER go anywhere near that dealer and if no other choice, will simply wait another year:cry:. Sorry for my rant...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know there are various other threads on the pricing that dealers are doing regarding the Prime.....but this one just blows my mind: a dealership ( which i will refrain from naming ) in Maryland has just received a Prime XSE with Premium package with an MSRP of 48,700 and change and that dealership is asking almost 62K !!!! Just horrendous......I live in Pa. and if I am going to be able to get one , it will have to come from Maryland as Pa has no allocation. That said....I will NEVER go anywhere near that dealer and if no other choice, will simply wait another year:cry:. Sorry for my rant...
The entire way cars are sold in America is some serious mafia $hit.

·
Registered
326 Posts
When I first started looking for a prime, I crossed off all the dealers that were selling above MSRP. "What sort of jerks are these dealers", I thought. But in hindsight, I've changed my mind. The dealers that are advertising the car at above MSRP are the honest dealers. The dealer I bought from had the car listed online at MSRP. When I talked to them on the phone, they talked about MSRP. But when I got into the showroom, it was suddenly $2,000 over MSRP. Plus, my trade-in was suddenly was worth $2,000 less than the bluebook, which they had also agreed to over the phone. (in the end I got the car for MSRP and 500 below on the trade. ) So maybe the dealers who are at least up front about their pricing should not be maligned quite so much. This is America, and we are capitalists. And I'd bet that you could still deal down, depending on the time of the month, as with any car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Use an auto buying program from: Costco, AAA, or American Express.

If you do NOT have membership to the above, consider getting membership or ask family/friends to do the vehicle selection for you. You will likely have to bring that person along at the dealership; who pays doesn’t matter.

The program is great, and NO haggle. The participating dealers agree to provide members w/ rock bottom pricing and show the invoice (you see how much dealer paid for vehicle). It is possible that you might be able to get a better deal elsewhere, but that’s going to require a lot of work. Way too much effort and stress for me, and I’m a cheap rat arse bas-tard.

At least for Costco, they get nothing from the dealer or manufacture if you buy a car: no kickback to Costco. Dealers and manufactures know Costco has A LOT of members w/ an average household income that is very high. The participating dealers are fine to make a little less money on Costco sold cars, b/c they are selling vehicles which the manufacture requires. You may have heard stories of dealers taking a loss on sold vehicles, just to sell the cars, to hit a unit number, b/c the manufacture will give a big incentive for hitting that number. This manufacture incentive is still profitable, even after loosing money on the sold vehicles. Also, the dealer will likely make money on back-end w/ service. Parts and Service account for nearly 50% of a dealers profit. Vehicle sales (new and used) is about 25% each; dealer financing is included in that 25%.

Why does Costco offer this program? Its a benefit of paid membership. Another reason for you to pay the annual renewal fee.

I am sure AAA and AmEx vehicle sales operate the same way as Costco.

Costco sold nearly 700k vehicles last year (689k). This is a big lure and incentive for dealers to want to participate in the program. The year over year change in sold vehicles has been increasing every year.

·
Registered
501 Posts
. . . . or just shop for a reputable and good Broker with transparent pricing.

Reactions: kylejc1127

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just say no to the dealer there are plenty dealership in NJ, NY, MA that sells at or close to MSRP.
Absolutely......I have a 500 dollar deposit that puts me at #8 on the waiting list at another dealership in Maryland and will get me the vehicle at MSRP or no more than 2K over which I agreed to given that my trade will probably depreciate by 2K if I have to wait until MY 22....so we shall see. 14k over MSRP is just nuts....but I will say as is mentioned above , at least they are being honest in saying that's what they are selling at.

·
Registered
631 Posts
You play, you pay.

NEVER lock yourself into having to have the latest and greatest.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Dealers have been adding on a charge for highly desirable cars since I started buying new cars 35 years ago. Buy two and three year cars to save even more money. Ford GTs were marked up hundred thousand dollars.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Lithia Toyota Medford OR has one Prime advertised for $44,249. That includes add-on of $2,725. Don't know whether they would negotiate. With what your dealer wants it would almost be worth the price of an airline ticket to come to Medford! In general, Primes seem about as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth here.

Reactions: Freeman

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lithia Toyota Medford OR has one Prime advertised for $44,249. That includes add-on of $2,725. Don't know whether they would negotiate. With what your dealer wants it would almost be worth the price of an airline ticket to come to Medford! In general, Primes seem about as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth here.
HA!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dealers have been adding on a charge for highly desirable cars since I started buying new cars 35 years ago. Buy two and three year cars to save even more money. Ford GTs were marked up hundred thousand dollars.
Yes, true.......( but not ALL dealers)I have been buying new cars for 51 years including a first year, new model Corvette in 2005 and have NEVER paid MSRP or above....the Corvette dealership in NJ negotiated and finally gave me $100 off MSRP....and that included factory/museum delivery down in Kentucky!! There is simply no car on earth that I will pay 14K over MSRP even though they might negotiate down to 5K or something.....nope! So.....I will wait.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just wait. With all the new EVs coming out including those from Toyota, the Prime is not going to be going for top dollar. Your trade may drop $2k, but the price of a Prime will drop more and the MY21 Prime would also deprecate. Each year the car will get better.

Or pay extra if you have to have it, but don’t blame the dealers for making extra on those that can’t wait.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll check that one out.....
I ordered my prime from west herr Toyota they are in Buffalo but they didn't up charge because the car is in demand. In fact we had to travel there from sw ohio to even get one. They were the only dealer willing to order me one instead of having to Chace one down.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Get a Model Y, easy fix. :)

1 - 20 of 106 Posts