Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question ia not exactly regarding my cars only my friends ( he doesnt speak English so Im helping him out).

He was wodnering how to check if disks (not brake pads) should be replaced. He is going to be chaning pads soon and was wondering if he should to chande disks to. He has about 120.000km on it. If he should change both things what would be a good brand to buy from.

Thanx 4 ur help.

L

·
0 Posts
To check if the discs need to be replaced, you'll have to have a mechanic or brake shop check the thickness of the discs. If they're below a certain measurement, they'll have to be changed. Sometimes you can tell visually, but not often, if a disc is worn. Mechanics use micrometers and factory specs to tell them when discs can be machined, or if they have to be replaced.

Sometimes, discs will get "out of round", meaning they are not completely flat on the sides. They can warp like that due to excessive heat, and if they're out of round they have to be replaced. You can tell if they're out of round by running your hands across the surface. Do this when the brakes are cold! If there are "waves" that you can feel, then have them replaced. The brakes may also "pulse" when you step on the pedal, also indicating disc wear (or your ABS system is on the fritz).

With 120.000 KM (about 100,000 mi), it's probably a good idea to have both the pads and discs replaced, and have a look at the rear drums and brake shoes, too (if they haven't already been replaced).

Brakes are nothing to mess with... :!:

K

·
0 Posts
What brand?

What about the brand of the disc and pads, is it really true that Toyota's e.g. brake discs are better than e.g. Brembo's ???

L

·
0 Posts
Almost any car maker will tell you that OEM equipment is superior to aftermarket parts. Having said that, I haven't really seen stock pads or discs that stick out in my mind in terms of quality. I'd try Raybestos or Federal Mogul, if you can get 'em, if you want to stay stock. If you want to go custom (cooled discs, HD pads and calipers, etc.), then I don't know what to tell you, because I'm not to that stage yet. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Good luck finding slotted or cross-drilled rotors that fit the Rav 4.1. Brembo only makes OEM style rotors. There are a few private shops that machine the Brembos than sell them on e-bay, but I can't guarantee quality on them. After that, I have failed to find rotors that fit (or at least they list fitting a Rav). As for pads, you are gonna want a composite that has low dust. This esspecially true if you have wheels that are nice and open to the brake area. The kind you get at midas throw ALOT of dust, don't go there. The OEM toyotas aren't very good about it either (in my experience). I believe Hawk makes some that are pretty good. I think those are the ones I am going to be doing with new Brembo rotors (btw, I am at 100,000 mi also).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts