Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Distance to empty feels off since I got my 2021 RAV4 LE

1322 Views 10 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  JoAnneU
When I first got my 2021 RAV4 LE it was new from the lot with only 10miles and they added a full tank of gas (maxed 400miles to empty).
For a few months it's always been 405-390 in distance to empty, however this past May, I noticed that my distance to empty only maxed out to 370miles (full tank almost had gas spill out). Does that mean I have my tank kinda dirty or it's just because of everything going on (political gas changes or Summer heat) that it automatically takes it as 370miles and not 400miles?
Sorry I know this may be stupid question but I was just wondering. Plus it's my very first new (off the lot) car and I want to make sure everything is okay.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2021 Prime XSE Premium
286 Posts
Given this is a the RAV4 Prime forum, are you saying that you're getting 370 HV miles on a full tank in your Prime? If yes, search this forum for words like "guess-o-meter" and "GOM" for a number of posts about the inaccuracies of Toyota's estimations and actual mileage.

· Registered
201 Posts
The distance to empty guesstimate is calculated as the product of the remaining usable fuel guesstimate and the current average fuel economy.

There are many factors that can impact this calculation. Too many to list them all.
  • Parking on an incline while refueling can impact the amount of fuel you can take in.
  • Grade and brand of fuel can impact the economy, which will slowly impact the average fuel economy.
  • Traffic and weather conditions can impact the fuel economy.
  • Driver mood and disposition can impact the fuel economy.
  • Vehicle conditions (like tire pressures) can impact the fuel economy.
The distance to empty guesstimate is trying to give you a rough measure of how far you can go. Before the guesstimate was available you had to make your own guesstimate. My first car didn't have a functional fuel gauge, so I had to keep track of miles driven to form my estimate (no trip odometer either)

On my current Prius (still waiting for my RAV4) it is not uncommon to drive 80 miles with little impact on the distance to empty guesstimate, especially when on a road trip where everything is different from the conditions where the current average fuel economy was calculated from.

Don't sweat it. Use it as a tool to help you plan, much like the weather forecast.

Reactions: JupiterRAV4

· Registered
221 Posts
The HV DTE is off. I submitted ticket to Toyota and went to dealer. They said something like approximately 3 gallons of the listed 14.5 specification is for extra reserve and fumes at top of tank. This is a well-documented situation. Even just doing HV after fillup I was shocked how little gas I put in. I drove about 120 miles and the HV DTE took off 180 miles after refueling.

· Registered
4 Posts
When I first got my 2021 RAV4 LE it was new from the lot with only 10miles and they added a full tank of gas (maxed 400miles to empty).
For a few months it's always been 405-390 in distance to empty, however this past May, I noticed that my distance to empty only maxed out to 370miles (full tank almost had gas spill out). Does that mean I have my tank kinda dirty or it's just because of everything going on (political gas changes or Summer heat) that it automatically takes it as 370miles and not 400miles?
Sorry I know this may be stupid question but I was just wondering. Plus it's my very first new (off the lot) car and I want to make sure everything is okay.
(RAV4 XLE HYBRID OWNER) there was a recall over a year ago for a part that affects the car reading the gas level, which would affect the 'distance to empty'. they didn't have a fix for it for quite awhile. I noticed when i was filling my car at the pump it was switching off way too early and I thought I was crazy. 2 weeks later I got a recall notice, however it was over 6 months (possibly a year?) before they had a fix.....check Lookup Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns to see if yours was affected....or it may just be that driving habits while using that tank of gas vary greatly, therefore the DTE changes

· Registered
7 Posts
I've notice the same thing with my XLE. when it was new, distance to empty was over 400. now it's around 370. always drive on eco and 5 over speed limit. I suspect something evil going on with Toyota. I know the Korean car makers tends to overstate their MPG. hate to see Toyota is following suit

· Registered
595 Posts
I noticed the opposite with mine, when it was new it was at around 400 miles DTE. Once I put 5k miles on it, it settled to 465 to 475 miles DTE consistently. This is with a 2WD gas version. I'm guessing those that have seen a drop in their DTE are just not driving efficiently and the computer has adjusted the DTE to reflect that. In my case, I've learned to drive efficiently and the DTE has increased as a result.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.