Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a pretty big fan of Plasti-Dip (Plasti Dip) spray-on rubber coating. I know some people don't like it, but I do!

I first used it on my factory aluminum wheels over 5 years ago to end/surrender my battle with oxidation marks, and they have all held up incredible well. I coated the Plasti-Dip with a clear-coat like "wheel coating" paint by Duplicolor, and the wheels are a waxable surface and bead water. They are not "rubbery" textured at all. I live in a snowy area and wash my Rav often with a power-washer, and the wheels still look great! I understand that un-coated Plasti-Dip will peel off, but I haven't had that trouble at all with clear-coated Plasti-Dip.

Here is my 2012 rav4world post with pictures and here is my Rav last week with the same Plasti-Dip job, some 5 years later (though with a new black hood, thanks to a hail storm :():

My sister's '99 L, Blackeye, is parked next to me, and I just last week did her wheels. She wanted all black with a matte finish, instead of the black-with-silver-rim and high gloss finish I put on mine. Here are some pictures from that latest job. The only difference was that I needed to do a little more oxidation removal before I applied the Plasti-Dip, but by no means do you need to remove it all.

It was an easy job, and it took two cans of Plasti-Dip and one can of Rusto Matte Clear to cover all four wheels, for a grand total of $13:

Shined up those lugnuts, and she was very happy with the results! I'll keep this updated if the Plasti-Dip/Matte Clear combination ends up not enduring our weather.

The last picture of Blackeye's rusty rotor hat reminds me -- just a side note, I painted my calipers, rotor hats, and brake drums black the last time I did my brakes, which was 3 years ago on the front and 2.5 yr on the rear. I used Duplicolor Caliper paint (spray), and they still look new. I am impressed with those Duplicolor ceramic paints and have had good results with them, for anyone looking to paint those components. I recently used it on a muffler, and will report back if it fails to work on that surface (so far it looks great!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
i like how your RAV4 looks with the black and silver. Also i did my dip like the other RAV4 all black but mine dosent have the clear coat and i bought TRD lug nuts but i might go back to the original lug nuts

1 - 2 of 2 Posts