Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to add an auto-dimming mirror with compass onto a '05 RAV4 since my friend didn't have a need for the mirror anymore. Though the mirror was installed 10 years ago in his car, but it still works and installs fine since the typical mirror wedge is the same.

Original mount.

Pop the cover off.

Press down on the plastic tab and slide upward to take it off.

Wedge mount.

Pull the driver's front scuff off.

Pull out the plastic plug over the kickpanel and remove.

Pull down the weatherstrip.

Pop the a-pillar panel out. I didn't pull the panel out since there was this clip holding it, but I was able to run the wire in there without it off.

Mount the auto-dimming mirror and plug.

Run the wire through the headliner, down and inside the a-piller panel, down the edge and into the kickpanel area.

Locate the factory 10-mm ground bolt and install ground wire there.

The pink wire in this plug is 12V switched, however, the mirror wouldn't power up since it didn't provide enough current.

So the thick black wire (12V switched) was used instead and the mirror powered up fine.

Finally, put everything back together.

Since the mirror was previously used, it needs to be re-calibrated. The instructions can be found here, which has the zone numbers. But here are the quick steps.
- Press and hold down the "COMP" button for 3 seconds, release, then press (or hold) "COMP" until the proper zone is selected.
- Wait until it switches back to a direction.
- Press and hold down the "COMP" button for 6 seconds until a "C" comes up.
- Drive around in circles at less than 5-MPH or regular driving until it gets calibrated, the "C" will turn into a real direction.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Looks like a good clean install. Nice job. I have a 2004 L with the power roof window and there is an extra empty connector behind the map light / roof window control switch for just such a mirror. I guess it's not there on base models.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Great writeup! This is the next thing I'm upgrading, very helpful! Now to scoure the junkyards for a Rav4 L/S!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BikerJay said:
I have a 2004 L with the power roof window and there is an extra empty connector behind the map light / roof window control switch for just such a mirror. I guess it's not there on base models.
Correct, this was a base model with no moonroof.

03rav4inPA said:
Now to scoure the junkyards for a Rav4 L/S!
You don't necessarily need to find one from a RAV4, or Toyota itself. I had planned on buying one from e B a y, but luckily, my friend still had his. Most of these mirrors are made by Gentex and there are plenty on e B a y, but make sure the harness is included, otherwise, you will need to get something likethis orthis depending on if you want extra Compass or Compass+Temperature function.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Good writeup. I did this myself a couple years ago. One thing I don't understand is why you had to pull off the weatherstripping, I didn't need to do this. Also, mine is different in that I just tied into the power for the aftermarket stereo. Mine also included temperature, so I had to pop that line through the firewall and mounted the sensor near the front left headlamp.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the weatherstrip off because I had planned to take the a-pillar panel out in order to route the wire through and down the cowl panel. I had done the same in my '06 per Toyota's instructions, so figured it was probably the same. You can tap in anywhere there's ACC available. Of the 4 Toyotas that I've installed, the ACC & ground connections were always located in the driver's kick panel. It would've been nice to have the temperature option too, but since it was cheaper and my friend's set was complete, I figure I buy it from him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI thank you for the write up, by the way how did you fix the screw? that wedge mount doesn't seem to have a hole for screw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts