Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember someone posted one for the 4.2 Manual Transmission.

Has anyone changed their 4.2 automatic transmission oil themselves?

Does anyone have a link?

:cheers:

Philo

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Phourwheel

I think this is the link that you are looking for.

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1953&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=transmission+oil

I just did my Diff. & T-case and will be doing my 4.2 02 2liter next summer.

Parkwaycruiser tells how he did a total replacement.
I will do the same and if I am feeling up to it remove the pan, clean the magnets, and clean or replace the filter.

I just want to get more input on the oil. I want to go with another brand Synthetic rather than OEM Toyota. I don’t even know if the OEM one is Synthetic. So hopefully others can give some more advice on oils that they have used.

Walt

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link, Walt.

Every time I do an engine oil change, I try to look for some sort of drain plug but I'm assuming that the 4.2 automatic transmission doesn't have a drain plug (is this correct?), thus the need for a "flushing machine".

I guess my real questions are:

How effective would a manual pump be?
Will the tube even get in deep enough to pump a significant amount of oil out?

$150-200 for a transmission flush is definitely not peanuts, so if I try to do this myself, I hope it'll be worth it. I'm really trying to avoid having to remove the pan. I've already got several gallons of used oil that I keep forgetting to bring to the "recycling center", and I don't want to risk "blackening" my driveway :lol:

But if I do decide to tear down the pan, what do I need, a torque wrench? Do you need to change the gasket? A lot of drip trays?

From Parkwaycruiser's post, it doesn't sound like he took the pan down, any step-by-step procedures, Scott? Pictures?

Anyway, keep us posted, Walt, if possible, take pictures (although greasy hands are not too compatible with cameras)

Cheers!

Philo

·
Registered
986 Posts
I should reiterate a few points that myself and others have made in other posts about this topic:

1. Stick with the Toyota transmission fluid, especially if the owner's manual specifies Type-IV. Toyota automatic transmissions are very particular when it comes to fluid, and in the case of the Rav4, there is no reason to use anything other than OEM Toyota fluid specified by the owner's manual. If you don't believe me, do a Google search and you will find tons of stories about people who screwed up their Toyota transmission by switching to another fluid.

2. A transmission fluid CHANGE is different from a FLUSH. You can't change automatic transmission fluid like you would engine oil, because it doesn't all drain out from the bottom of the pan.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Philo,

I guess Jeff mentioned the Toyota fluid before but I wasn't sure so I guess that's
the one to use.

You mentioned manual pump, people have done it but I believe you mentioned it because you could not find the drain. It should be the drain on the black pan on the drivers side with it being near the edge around the center of the car.

Like Jeff also said, if you do a CHANGE you will only remove a percentage of the oil. So you can either do 3-5 changes over a period of time. Or do a FLUSH like Pcruiser mentions in the link, and that's what I will do.

As for removing the pan that is just an extra step that I am thinking about doing. :roll: Yes, I believe you need a t-wrench, RTV sealant, gasket and maybe a new filter.
I have not done it before but with the right tools and advice should be easy.

I definitely take pics when I do.

Cheers,

Walt

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hey Walt, Did you ever change your tranny fluid? I guess I will be using the Toyota OEM fluid from the dealer. How many litres do I need? Does the tranny have a filter as well?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yes Walt did and even flushed it. Better yet he put a good write up, I will try to find the thread where its at. Edit - found it one advanced search - the thread title is automatic transmission fluid change. Just search for that.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The 04 has a drain plug for ATF. I replace mine yearly. 2 3/4 quarts. I've been buying Walmart Supertech Dexron VI the last 3 years. I plan to buy Valvoline Max Life in gallon jug for $18.00 which is a full synthetic and has extra additives for higher mileage vehicle. The fluid meets Toyota T-IV spec's according to the label.:) search the net for comments about this fluid in Toyota's, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Unfortunately, where we live, we have very limited options, believe it or not, the best and most viable option is the stealership, which is never my preferred option :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just went to Autozone and bought their brand of trans fluid. It states right on the label Type-IV.

None of the other brands listed this as a specification. Seems to work fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
part numbers

I just did a drain and fill on my 2003 Rav4. T-IV fluid from the dealer.

drain plug 90341-18016
gasket 90430-18008

10mm hex head for your socket wrench.

Only drained a gallon. Guess I'll do this again in a month?

·
Registered
43 Posts
'Flush' machines could get metal shavings from other really bad transmissions into yours. Also, does anyone has seen the lube shop changing the oil inside the flushing machine to add the correct one that complies to your Toyota T-IV? What about cleaning the magnets? And the filter? The 60,000 miles change interval designed by manufacturer is done taking in consideration the oil remaining in the torque converter and the transmission itself. Mentioning that as an excuse for not changing the oil or to charge for a costly procedure is just that, an excuse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts