Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I recently acquired a used 2012 RAV4 and wanted to perform a number of dealer customizations, most notably disabling the obnoxious beep when locking the car with the remote. I also wanted to disable the DRLs since I run the regular headlights 24/7 but occasionally attend star parties where zero lighting is desirable.

I ordered this on Amazon. It's a USB OBD2 reader that comes with the full version of the Toyota Techstream software, which is what the dealer uses for diagnostics and programming.

With it, I was able to accomplish all the customizations that I wanted. The only issue I encountered is that some customizations require the the ignition to be in the on position, otherwise they show up blank without any configuration options. So for anyone else that tries this, make sure your RAV4 is running when you program it or attempt to read error codes.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
yeah the techstream software has been discussed on here many times...i got it to change a few items myself...
one button push to unlock all doors
turned off the seat belt chime
made it so the interior lights dont come on as soon as i turn the rav off
disables my drls...i wired my fogs for that purpose
also programmed a new key...very handy software...

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I recently acquired a used 2012 RAV4 and wanted to perform a number of dealer customizations, most notably disabling the obnoxious beep when locking the car with the remote. I also wanted to disable the DRLs since I run the regular headlights 24/7 but occasionally attend star parties where zero lighting is desirable.

I ordered this on Amazon. It's a USB OBD2 reader that comes with the full version of the Toyota Techstream software, which is what the dealer uses for diagnostics and programming.

With it, I was able to accomplish all the customizations that I wanted. The only issue I encountered is that some customizations require the the ignition to be in the on position, otherwise they show up blank without any configuration options. So for anyone else that tries this, make sure your RAV4 is running when you program it or attempt to read error codes.
I too have read through the discussions on here about this product. I'm reasonably computer literate but by no means an expert. Reading through your link to this product on Amazon including the reviews and comments, it seems very much a hit-or-miss deal and might require a degree in IT to get it to work! Glad yours was ok!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wait- so where do you plug the end of this cord into (the cord not attached to the car- I know where that goes), and do you need other things?

If this can turn off that annoying beep for me with just this, please, tell me how!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Wait- so where do you plug the end of this cord into (the cord not attached to the car- I know where that goes), and do you need other things?

If this can turn off that annoying beep for me with just this, please, tell me how!
the other end goes into a laptop or desktop (it's a USB plug) that runs the software...
so you need a computer to run the software and i have heard it needs to be a 32 bit computer running XP but i cant say for sure...

·
Registered
15 Posts
the other end goes into a laptop or desktop (it's a USB plug) that runs the software...
so you need a computer to run the software and i have heard it needs to be a 32 bit computer running XP but i cant say for sure...

Does the software cost money? I'm just trying to figure out how this seems so easy/inexpensive! haha

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
yeah the techstream software has been discussed on here many times...i got it to change a few items myself...
one button push to unlock all doors.
I'm resisting getting a Windows machine. :( I would appreciate any recommendations for a cost-effective laptop that would work with Techstream.

For others like me, the unlock all doors can likely be programmed using the keyless fob.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm resisting getting a Windows machine. :( I would appreciate any recommendations for a cost-effective laptop that would work with Techstream.
Later today, I'm going to try to install it on a MacBook Air that runs VirtualBox. Only possible glitch is that my VirtualBox Windows is Version 7.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

For others like me, the unlock all doors can likely be programmed using the keyless fob.
I have an old laptop from back in 05 that runs xp...I don't connect it to the internet so it's only job is techstream...
I don't think the door locks can be changed by the fob so maybe a trip to the dealer will get you what you need...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I think that only works with the Limited models that have the Smartkey. I think if you hold both the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for about 5 seconds it toggles between unlocking all doors with one click (or handle touch) and unlocking only one door (e.g. the driver's door) with one click (or handle touch).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts