Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some people who take their intake out thru the headlights and airdams. Some with funnels attached and some are running without air filters, and that got me thinking after removing my cone filter for replacement.

I test ran my rav without the filter and the improvement on throttle response is very noticeable. The noise became louder in front, revs higher and pulls a bit faster.

So I thought of making a much high flowing air filter than the usual paper or foam material. I came up using a thin cloth as a material for the filter. The cloth is stretched, so that holes won't be too clogged up, and secured by the almighty electrical tape. I added large and small chicken wires to it for reinforcement and the body is taken from an empty, plastic putty cup.

The result is almost the same to running with no air filters on. The air passing through this cloth is much faster indeed.

Yes it looks terribly hideous, I haven't painted the body black yet, but it functions properly. It looks stupid but it really does the job, plus it's way easier to clean.

The ugly DIY air filter is positioned directly to the gap between the headlight and the radiator so that it sucks cold air from the grill than taking most of the heat inside.

Here is what my first sh!tty, and much more uglier "prototype" looks like.

There are way cheaper K&N Apollo-like filters on the market that can be easily combined with a flexi hose, yes I would get one as soon as I find one. But this is just a stupidly fun made up DIY that costs $0.00. I might stick to this one for a while cause it functions and looks funny as hell.

But the main reason I did this is because I can't find any larger gap or holes to let the flexi hose out through the body to stick a proper air filter outside. The only way out is downward through the splash guards, but I am not risking any tiny rocks and flood water for cold air on that.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I was looking at your setup and I was thinking. Could you try PVC pipes? It's really worth your time and effort. The results are very satisfactory. :nerd

I'm considering doing a permanent setup like this one (It's for Nissan, but you get the idea) Why? Every year or so, I have to re-do the setup with new flexible hoses and what not. Eliminating the flexible hoses. I'm considering running two, 4 inch, 90 degree shape PVC pipe from the front funnel intake. The other one will turn upward through the splash cover. towards the K&N Apollo filter.

Since the PVC pipes are smoother, air flow is increased. Depending on your exhaust setup. you'll have a strong top end speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@mensajero I'm pegging your setup haha. Although I don't like cutting my splash guard and I have no air dam to put a longer flexi hose like yours. If I were to put a flexi hose below the bumper, it would look awkward on my stock bumper.

My solution is to buy another set of used headlights, cut a hole on the left headlight and place the pvc pipe thru it. Or for a cheaper cost, buy a set of signal lamps, cut the left signal lamp in half and set the flexi hose there.

For the K&N Apollo like yours, I did thought about that. I saw a couple of those style before but I couldn't find any cheaper ones just like it these days. The recent ones I could find were those open funnel and mushroom types only. Maybe next time. :)

Your PVC pipes are much better, not only that it would make the airflow smoother, but it'll eliminate the wobbling that the flexi hose produces.

@pico Surprisingly, not enough rain could make the whole cloth wet. :) I know people that are running without air filters, strait thru open air while raining or driving through dusty areas. They are still racing and running good today. I can't sort how their engines are still in good condition after years and years of running it like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts