Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Rav4World,

I just bought my wife a brand new 2010 RAV4 BASE model (Pacific Blue exterior).
I picked it up last week, Aug 26 and we love it. We drove the car for couple weeks already and so far we got like 22 miles/gallon (city + freeway).

I was offered 2 models at the dealer: Base I4 or Limited V6.
I chose the Base model because it's cheaper and I want to do some mods to it :)

Here are some mods that I was thinking of doing:
- Interior light mod (checked!)
- Rear Trunk light mod
- Steering Wheel Audio Control
- Aftermarket GPS Navigation
- Side Windows Deflectors (order placed!)

Here is the car (resting in the garage)

Here is my 1st mod. I added blue accent lights (CCFL) under the dashboard (driver, passenger) and the rear seats. The lights only turn on when one of the doors is open or when I push the remote keyless (lock/unlock). The lights will stay on for about 20 seconds and turn itself off. Just like the dome lights. It's an easy mod. The hard part is removing the dome light cover, routing the wires behind the front passenger pillar, passenger front & rear floor cover. All process only took me ~ 1 hour.

Total material costs (~$20):

- 4 Blue CCFLs -2 set of dual CCFLs ($5.95/each) http://www.coolerguys.com/840556011040.html
- 4 extension cords ($1.95/each) http://www.coolerguys.com/840556000198.html

OK, here are the DIY. Sorry, I didn't take the photos When I did this mod.

Parts you'll need to do this mod:
- 4 (dual CCFL tubes) w/adapter
- 4 extension wires for CCFL
- 4 inches nylon wire ties (ex: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103487)
- Extension wire cable w/2 wires: black & red or whatever colors you prefer.
- Wire cutter/stripper
- Wire tap (ex: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104093)
- trim removal tool (ex: http://www.sourcingmap.com/pieces-noscratch-car-door-panel-trim-removal-tool-audio-refit-set-p-30471.html)
- fish wire tool

[1] Roll down all the windows in the car
[2] Just to be safe, please remove the [-] cable from the battery
[3] Open the front passenger door & remove the black rubber surrounding the door frame
[3] Remove the Sunglass holder/Dome Light cover

The Dome Light cover is hold by 4 plastic tabs. You will need to pull down hard enough to pop.

[4] Remove the Dome Light connector and note the [+] & [-] wires. Put down the Dome Light cover. Tap the wire extension to the dome light connector wires using the wire tab.

[5] Route the extension wire from the Dome Light cover opening to the front passenger side pillar using the fish wire tool - hide the wire behind the front side airbag (DO NOT put in the front of the air bag). Continue route the wire down

[6] continue route the extension wire to the lower side pillar on the front passenger side

Remember to cut the wires (red & black) off after you remove the CCFL from the box.
These 2 wires end will need to be connected to the dome light extension wires [+] & [-], the other end w/small adapter connector will need to be connected to the CCFL adapter.

[7] After you remove the cover on the bottom, splice the extension wires and tap an extension wire so that you can wire it to the front CCFL adapter under the passenger dashboard. Open the CCFL unit from the box. Cut loose the CCFLs and the adapter. Cut the black & red wires CCFL connector adapter (this will be connected to the extension wires that you tap from the dome light). Insert the fish wire tool under the front passenger dashboard to route the CCFL wire extension to the driver side. Connect the extension wires to the CCFLs (left and right side) to the adapter. Attach the CCFL tube under the front passenger/driver dashboard and use the nylon wire ties to the plastic cover under the compartment. Hide the adapter behind the passenger floor rug. See image below.

Front Passenger side

Front Driver Side

[8] Continue route the extension wire under the rear passenger seat

[9] For rear CCFL installation, first - make sure you have enough extension wires (from the dome light) to reach the center 2nd rear seats, second - decide where to put the 2nd CCFL adapter (i put mine under the center seat and put a provided veltro from the CCFL box), connect the extension wires to the CCFL adapter wires (red wire to [+] dome light extension wire and black wire to [-] dome light extension wire) , third - attach the CCFL tubes under the seat and use the nylon wire ties to tie up the CCFLs, fourth - attach the white CCFL extension wires to both CCFLs (left & right), finally - connect the CCFL wire extensions to CCFL adapter.

[10] Test the wiring connections by attaching the [-] battery. Close all the doors if they're open. Open any door and all the CCFL lights should turn on slowly. If they look good, then put back all the covers under the floor, side pillar, dome light cover.
Final results will look like these :)

Front:

Rear:

All right side doors open

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NYPD,

and the rear also :)
How do you turn the lights on? are you using switches/rockers?
What kind of pillar lights did you use? Where did you get them?

BTW. I love your mods !!!!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Rav2K10 said:
NYPD,

There's a flip switch by my left knee under the coin/misc tray left of the steering wheel. Just search for bright white led pods or whatever you like. I don't even remember what brand they were, but it really doesn't matter. Pick a style you like first and make sure they're high intensity or just very bright.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NYPD said:
Rav2K10 said:
NYPD,

There's a flip switch by my left knee under the coin/misc tray left of the steering wheel. Just search for bright white led pods or whatever you like. I don't even remember what brand they were, but it really doesn't matter. Pick a style you like first and make sure they're high intensity or just very bright.
Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zwei said:
Could you post some photos on how you wire it? I would love to be able to do this.
I will try to snap some photos this weekend and put a DIY for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Amazing job explaining to us idiots what to do, I was going to PM you asking for more details. I'll post my results when I muster up the strength to give it a shot.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Rav2k10, you did an excellent job sir. If you ever find your way to Texas, I may have to get you to do mine too. LOL Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dtown40 said:
Rav2k10, you did an excellent job sir. If you ever find your way to Texas, I may have to get you to do mine too. LOL Thanks for sharing!
dtown40, thanks for the compliment.

Actually, this is not that hard for a DIY mod.
Just make sure you have the proper tools and a lot of patience.
Don't rush when you try to pull out/pop off the pillars/covers.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great writeup. I'm thinking about doing this to mine, and hook the cargo lights into the dome lights at the same time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
17 Participants
megabitzu
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing